+ Reply to Thread

Cool Attic Fan and Mold

I would like to get some input from someone that really knows their stuff on this. Got a building built in 1976 with attic fan only, no A/C in any of it. Over the years some have wanted to leave fan off and windows all closed. Outside is humid most of the time, from 85% to 95% and with the attic fan on, it will bring in some breeze to cool a bit. There has been some mold problems that have come about. There are two factions here, one that says if you open the windows and have the attic fan on, it will cause more mold due to the high humidity. The other says if you use the fan and open the windows, it will draw the air through and eliminate the mold problem as it grows due to the stagnant humid air that is trapped in the building and is shut up all the time. so the mold will not have a chance to grow with the air movement with the fresh air coming in even though it may be high humidity. So come on any experts out there, which is right, attic fan on or off better? By the way, the mold has been taken care of and have been having fan on and windows open even with the humidity and not even a musty smell thus far.

Default Re: Attic Fan and Mold

I vote for keeping the attic fan on---the more air changes you have the more comfortable the house is likely to feel & the mold problem will hopefully stay away.

I 'm with JacktheShack.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    I vote for keeping the attic fan on---the more air changes you have the more comfortable the house is likely to feel & the mold problem will hopefully stay away.
    I totally agree with Jack...
    But I would consider looking in why you have mold to begin with. Did someone cover the vents that are designed to vent the attic?
    A building built in 76 should not have mold growing in the attic to begin with. There has to be a issue with venting. What are you going to do when it is winter.
    Just my two cents
    Harry

Mold was not in the attic but in the lower level, rooms, bathrooms, etc. Far as I know, the attic has none.

I'm part of the faction that says you're bringing in and trapping humidity with the fan on while it's humid out. Those days the natural humidity in the house from cooking and washing aren't properly vented and dry materials like paper, and cloth will soak up the moisuture in the air, combined with the dust/pollen/environmental contaminates from outside and inside you're more likely to have a mold problem.

Perhaps you could invest in better air flow and dehumidifiers in the rooms that have mold issues. Ceiling fans are easy to install and can offer a lot of relief on super hot days. Once the rooms are dry enough then I would get rid of the moldy materials as gently as possible to avoid getting mold spores out into other uncontaminated areas.

This is in addition to installing and using venting fans in high moisture areas.

See you're increasing the humidity in your house by bringing in humid air then showering or cooking a big watery meal. You gotta make sure that the steam goes out of the house rather than into the walls and furniture.

Best of luck to you.
    Debby in Oklahoma