+ Reply to Thread

Default how do I ground a flushmounted ceiling fan?

Hi, I am trying to install a 24" Monte Carlo mini Roman bronze ceiling fan. There is a green ground wire attached to the mounting bracket, and another one attached to the downrod. Instructions for flushmounting say to "connect ground leads from mounting bracket and downrod to ground lead from house". My problem is, with flush mount installation I will not be using the downrod, and I am not sure where else on the fan I should attach the ground wire. There are only 3 wires coming from the fan (black, blue, white), and no ground wire once I eliminate the downrod from the picture. Should I remove the ground wire from the downrod and attach it to one of the screws inside the canopy where the downrod would otherwise have been attached, and then connect that to the mounting bracket and house ground wires? Would this safely ground my ceiling fan? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Mike

Default Re: how do I ground a flushmounted ceiling fan?

The ground wire is not really needed for the fan to function, but you can hook it to any part of the metal casing.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the reply. I've installed ceiling lights before, but am a bit of a novice with electricity, so maybe I am misunderstanding. I'll try to upload a couple photos to show what I mean. The home wiring has a bare copper ground wire coming from the outlet in the ceiling, to which the old ceiling fan was grounded. The new fan would be grounded to this bare wire via the green wire at the end of the downrod (see photo). But the problem is I'm not using the downrod and am instead flushmounting the fan. The fan itself without the downrod has no grounding wire or obvious place to mount one, except possibly one of the screws where the downrod attaches to the fan. In the other photo you can see the 3 wires coming out of the tubular bracket where the downrod mounts to the fan. If I take the green ground wire off the end of the downrod and affix it to the fan via one of the downrod screws (near where the wires come out of the fan), and then connect the other end to the ground wire coming out of my ceiling, would this have prety much the same grounding effect as it would if I used the downrod?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downrod.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	3162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	3163  

Quote Originally Posted by mikeintonawanda View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've installed ceiling lights before, but am a bit of a novice with electricity, so maybe I am misunderstanding. I'll try to upload a couple photos to show what I mean. The home wiring has a bare copper ground wire coming from the outlet in the ceiling, to which the old ceiling fan was grounded. The new fan would be grounded to this bare wire via the green wire at the end of the downrod (see photo). But the problem is I'm not using the downrod and am instead flushmounting the fan. The fan itself without the downrod has no grounding wire or obvious place to mount one, except possibly one of the screws where the downrod attaches to the fan. In the other photo you can see the 3 wires coming out of the tubular bracket where the downrod mounts to the fan. If I take the green ground wire off the end of the downrod and affix it to the fan via one of the downrod screws (near where the wires come out of the fan), and then connect the other end to the ground wire coming out of my ceiling, would this have prety much the same grounding effect as it would if I used the downrod?
    Yes -----------
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

THE GROUND WIRE IS ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT WIRE! You are right to worry.

In your case, the flush mounted fan will be attached to the bracket directly which means the bracket and the fan will be "bonded." This means the ground wire on the bracket will alway ground the fan because they are bolted together. When you hang the fan, the metal from the fan does not touch the metal from the bracket because of the black plastic ball.

Make sure you have fan rated box.

Ok. That makes sense - the fan is grounded through it's attachment to the bracket, which is itself grounded to the bare house wire. I will double check the fan rating on the box, but as there has been a fan there for 20 years I am pretty sure it is fine. Thanks everyone for all of your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Yes -----------
    Somewhere in those mostly generic instructions it will tell you to change out the ground wire on the downrod to exactly what you thinking of doing.
    And it is always a good practice to ground all fixtures, even if you think it is useless in doing so.

First I admit i didnt read this entire thread but.

If there is no equipment ground present then you need to either rewire the circuit to incude an equipment ground (wether you add a single piece of thhn or replace the multiwire cable with a set that includes an EGC) or

USE ONLY A FIXTURE RATED FOR USE WITHOUT AN EQUIPMENT GROUND

OTHERWISE YOU ARE EXPOSING ANYONE WHO EVER CHANGES A LIGHTBULB OR GRABS THE CHAIN ON THAT FIXTURE TO A POSSABLE VOLTAGE POTENTIAL.

just my 2 cents tho
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    First I admit i didnt read this entire thread but.

If there is no equipment ground present then you need to either rewire the circuit to incude an equipment ground (wether you add a single piece of thhn or replace the multiwire cable with a set that includes an EGC) or

USE ONLY A FIXTURE RATED FOR USE WITHOUT AN EQUIPMENT GROUND

OTHERWISE YOU ARE EXPOSING ANYONE WHO EVER CHANGES A LIGHTBULB OR GRABS THE CHAIN ON THAT FIXTURE TO A POSSABLE VOLTAGE POTENTIAL.

just my 2 cents tho
    I agree, but will you find such a device [new] for sale in 2010?

Sure...just look at all the appliances that have only two prongs. They are safe to use without an equipment ground.