+ Reply to Thread

Default Redoing floors HELP !

The floor is 20 years old or more and needs to be revitalize. My family and I have re-sanded 2 bedrooms, dinning rooms and family room. Afterwards we applyed a minwax oil base clear semi gloss poly to the 4 rooms. Then waiting 2 days we applyed a oil base clear poly to the rooms. After a day of dry time we realized that the floors has small bubbes and a little of discoloration. Then we re-sanded all the floors. Then we applyed a oil base clear semi gloss to the dinning room. The outcome of this floor is dissatisfying, would like advice on how to fix up the floors. There are also the old poly on the family room floor and wanted advise on the best way to remove it. I would like if anyone can give me advice on how I can fix up the floors. Thank You

Default Re: Redoing floors HELP !

Check out this article on the TOH website

How to refinish hardwood floors

I'm not an expert on stains and polyuretheane but I always have bad luck with mini wax brand polyurethane. They always have bubbles.

I switch to different brand [San Cora ] and it works great.

I think someone here has similar issue with Mini Wax brand.

There will be a little more umbering with oil as compared to water based poly. I personally prefer oil based because it's usually a harder surface. If you want a good finish you need to use a good poly. In my opinion Minwax is not. I prefer Old Masters poly http://www.oldmastrs.com/products/in...l#Anchor-11481.
    They have both oil and water based, but I have only used the oil. It is very hard and has excellent self leveling properties. You can just about slap it on and it comes out beautifully. Besides a good varnish you need to clean the floor of all dust. Vacuum and used a tack cloth. Any dust particle will cause a bubble.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Oh, and I almost forgot, using a proper brush is also as important as the varnish you use.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb