+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Subfloor Question

Curious as to the repercussions of laying 3/8" sheet plywood on top of the existing laminate floating floor (3/8") which would ideally create a 3/4" subfloor for a hardwood floor install. Could I make a subfloor like this??? Before laying hardwood fasten the whole thing to the concrete slab via powder accentuated nails?

Something just does not seem right about this...
    Please help.
    Thanks

Mark in Los Angeles

Default Re: Subfloor Question

You should also have a moisture barrier when installing on a slab.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You should also have a moisture barrier when installing on a slab.
    Jack
    How does a glue down floor work for a slab with moisture barrier?

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Depends on the installation (more than one way to do this), but the OP indicated was looking to fasten hardwood floors (thickness of desired subfloor and fasteners mentioned). I wouldn't recommend a glue down of hardwood on slab, engineered wood maybe at or above grade.

We don't know if this slab is above, at or below grade either.

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/display_article.asp?ID=300
    thanks for the link but i've seen that before doing our own Google research. We are looking at laying hardwood floors down on a concrete slab as well. Like the link mentioned it says to check with the manufacturer's recommendation.
    We are looking at flooring from Bruce (Armstrong)and according to the information from their site it seems they have provisions for gluing 5/16 solid planks and for engineered wood floors.
    So far it does seem that you can't glue down floors to any moisture barrier, which is what I was thinking.

Thankyou so much for all this usefull information thus far. My slab is above grade. I considered the sleepers but since a family member is in a wheelchair I am trying to keep the transition slope to a minimum. So far this is my plan.. (which has changed thanks to all of your help) please let me know if this is correct...

Pull up laminate
    Saw door jambs
    Check concrete floor for level - make adjustments where necessary
    6mil poly vapor barrier
    3/4" ext. grade plywood subfloor - 1/2" gaps(walls) 1/8"gaps(between ply pieces)
    Use powder accentuated nail gun to fasten subfloor to concrete
    Lay hardwood 3/4" Prefinished Dark Oak (3/4" gaps to walls) with floor nailer.
    Finish with baseboard around edges

Only problem i can see thus far is the transition. It will be pretty drastic for a wheelchair... going from 3/8" laminate up to the 1 1/2" new wood floor which will be thru a 36" bedroom door. Any tips or ideas would really be helpful.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Mark LosAngeles

You should also lay 15 Lb. felt with 4" overlay on the plywood before you install the flooring.

As YukYUk says it's pretty hard to suggest a transition without knowing the layout on both side of the doorway.
    Jack

Only one transition from hallway which has existing floating laminate floor 3/8" not glued down to the new bedroom floor which will be hardwood. The 36" doorway is measured at 4 1/2" deep. So the threshold will be 4 1/2" deep from new hardwood to existing floating laminate. These floors will run perpindicular to each other with the floating running North to South(so to speak) and the hardwood running East to West.

Thanks

Mark LosAngeles

How did it go from level to 1" difference to 4" differance. That's a lot. You need to spread the transition over 4 feet. Generally speaking it's 1 foot for each 1 inch of rise for wheel chair access.
    Jack

Sorry for the confusion here's a quick layout may clear things up from my explanations which were probably confusing.

Thanks

Mark LosAngeles

Ok, the transition is 11/8" so the length of the transition should be at least 1 foot.
    Jack