+ Reply to Thread

Question removing a load bearing wall

i am looking for info on removing a load bearing wall,and replacing it with a beam. i am going to open up some space to make my liveing room biger.the spain is 15 ft.what size header do i need?i thought like a 3x10x16,any help would be very helpful.my home dosnt have an upstairs.thx,tm

Default Re: removing a load bearing wall

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Hire a structural engineer to come for a site review and consult. He/she will calculate loads and take into account the present structure and determine all that you need to do. Can even draw up precise plans and specifications and go into exact detail as to how this can be safely done, if you require it.
    Agreed. Without knowing the structure we can't really offer the specific info you need.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When dealing with a load bearing wall many things come into play which need to be done properly.

The structure that will be replacing the wall has to be properly sized and the correct material used.

There is also the consideration for the point load of the support columns ( possibly jack and king studs ) that will support the header. This point load may require additional support below if there is a basement involved.

So as mentioned previously a professional needs to be involved .
    Last edited by canuk; 07-21-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

When you put in the temporary walls do you also put in temporary walls directly below them on all stories below them so there is a direct load path all the way down to the lowest level, or do you just put in the temporary walls next to the bearing wall you will be taking out?

Sherry .... you bet there should be support all throughout especially if it's muliple stories.
    It doesn't hurt to do this with a single story home ..... usually if the temp. walls are within 2 feet of the main carry beam it's not as much of an issue since it's only the ceiling and a portion of the roof load that's being carried.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by SherryH View Post
    When you put in the temporary walls do you also put in temporary walls directly below them on all stories below them so there is a direct load path all the way down to the lowest level, or do you just put in the temporary walls next to the bearing wall you will be taking out?
    Generally yes, remember you have no way of knowing the condition of the floor and joists that you are building the temp wall on.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, Jack and Canuk.