Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My wall problems...Interesting Pictures! Anyone know what causes this?

Thanks YukYuk for the great suggestions. Amazingly there are no nail pops anywhere. We love the plaster walls and are not fond of the idea of overlay drywall or removal of the walls and new dry wall instead. We just want flat walls!

We will do "surgery" as you suggest and see about determining the best solution but as you suggest, "I'd go for repair at the present and wait and see." is the route we will most likely take.

Thank you.
    Roy

Default Re: My wall problems...Interesting Pictures! Anyone know what causes this?

Unfortunately the fact that the neighbors hadn't noticed it is generally of little help. Take the same room fill it with furniture, pictures d****s, and different lighting it may not be noticed by neighbors as they visit.

So it is also possible that it was never properly finished. I would suggest you have a professional pasturer take a look . It may be possible to just apply a bonding agent and skim coating.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JLMCDANIEL

Did you mean plasterer or pasturer

Quote Originally Posted by plastrr385 View Post
    JLMCDANIEL

Did you mean plasterer or pasturer
    Another thread has given me a headache and my tongue got in front of my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying.
    Jack

YukYuk

Very Nice...Thanks Roy

Yes very nice.
    Jack

Yes, this is rock lath with a two or three plaster coat overlay. I have the very same stuff in my 1960 house.

In my business, I run into the kind of cracking problem that you are experiencing, although yours is an extreme case (I expect a cold winter and unheated house is the immediate explanation for such extensive cracking).

Rock lath and plaster certainly is an improvement over the old wood lath and plaster, but it has one major drawback. The seams between the rock lath were never reinforced with fiberglass tape. I don't know if fiberglass tape even existed then as a building material, but had they used it, most cracking of this sort would not happen.

Modern veneer plaster, put over 4 X 8 and 4 X 12 sheets of plasterboard, is a superior system, for a couple of reasons. One is that they put fiberglass tape on the seams. And, second, modern veneer plaster is pretty tough stuff, although it goes on a lot thinner than the plaster you have.

I believe you have a couple of realistic options. One is to hire a plaster contractor to put on a new, thin coat of veneer plaster over the existing plaster. He will use a bonding agent to get good adhesion, and fiberglass tape over your cracks.

The other option, if you are adventurous and want to save money, is to skim coat the walls yourself with joint compound. You can use regular premix joint mud, or you can use quick set (hot mud) mud for all but the last coat (topping with regular mud for ease of sanding).

You will need to treat the cracks like drywall joints, embedding PAPER joint tape before skim coating the walls. If you are reasonbly fast with the tools, and go for the hot mud option, mix in some bonding agent into the water before adding the powder.
    This gives you some extra insurance. If you decide instead for regular joint mud, then skip the bonder. Adding bonder to that might thin the mud too much. Although, you could roll the bonder onto the walls like paint first - if you want - then tape and skim.

Good luck and wishing you the best!

I'm sorry, but in the pics, I don't see and cracks, all I see are indentations like you get when you fill a seam and the filler dries and shrinks.
    Jack