+ Reply to Thread

Default Connecting to cast iron pipes

My bathroom has been gutted and I am going to put in a tub/shower, new commode and sink. Existing plumbing is a cluge, and that is being nice. Some kind of lead trap arrangement that is then inserted into the cast iron main drain pipe at a wye fitting. What is the best way to use PVC and get a good seal around the drain pipe where it attaches to the cast iron?

Default Re: Connecting to cast iron pipes

With a lead trap sounds like your house is over 30 years old atleast. In order to connect from the cast iron to PVC it will have to be from cast iron pipe-transition band-pvc pipe. Look at the posting called "Toilet installation in basement" by RonL. He has some good pictures. The first is of a metal band for ABOVE GROUND. The later picture is of a rubber band for UNDER GROUND. But see how it goes pipe to band to pipe.
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

I have seen the bands, but I do not have a straight pipe and do not want to cut off the cast iron end to make one. The end I have to join to is is what I call a female end. Another cast iron pipe would go into it, then be packed and lead melted around it for the seal. It has been suggested that I do the same with the PVC and use calking for the seal, but I do not want another kluge job.

I don't know to too many plumbers nowadays that could pour a horizontal lead joint below slab. Sounds to me an easier solution would be to cut off the bell(or female) end and then go with the band. Buy a $80 DeWalt 4 1/2" grinder and then a cutting wheel disc(it is a really, really thin grinding wheel-it can also cut metal) WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by misfitter View Post
    I don't know to too many plumbers nowadays that could pour a horizontal lead joint below slab. Sounds to me an easier solution would be to cut off the bell(or female) end and then go with the band. Buy a $80 DeWalt 4 1/2" grinder and then a cutting wheel disc(it is a really, really thin grinding wheel-it can also cut metal) WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.
    oakum and lead wool packed is good for horizontal joints

Quote Originally Posted by meinsc View Post
    My bathroom has been gutted and I am going to put in a tub/shower, new commode and sink. Existing plumbing is a cluge, and that is being nice. Some kind of lead trap arrangement that is then inserted into the cast iron main drain pipe at a wye fitting. What is the best way to use PVC and get a good seal around the drain pipe where it attaches to the cast iron?
    Google Ferncos