+ Reply to Thread

Default Loose Shower Head Supply

The pipe that the shower head attaches to moves around when I touch the shower head. I want to install a shower head/hand held replacement and this is going to cause the pipe to continuously be moving. I am concerned about developing a leak in the wall. The pipe comes through cultured marble, so I cannot get to the connection. Is there a flange that tightens around the pipe and also will allow me to attach it to the cultured marble? I do not want to epoxy or otherwise cement something to it that will degrade from the apperance, but haven't been able to find a solution. Any suggestions??

Default Re: Loose Shower Head Supply

You could open the wall from the back side to secure the plumbing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I forgot to mention this is an outside wall, with stucco on the exterior. Not an option to go on the other side.

Does the cultured surround go all the way to the ceiling or just above the shower head? You could go in over the top if there is sufficient room. It won't be easy, but it will be easier than trying to remove the cultured panel IF you can remove the panel without breaking it. Beyond that, I can think of no other device or product that would be suitable for securing the pipe from the surface of the panel.

Most shower necks have an escutcheon around them (chromed metal ring ) that hides the penetration point of the pipe. The hole could be filled with caulk to bind the pipe in the hole. With the escutcheon in place, the caulking would be invisible. Is this the preferred manner to secure the pipe, no, but it may work, as well as prevent water from finding it's way inside the wall at this point.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I can get above the cultured marble, but that will lead to a lot more work than replacing a shower head, which is my wife's honey do item. I was hoping there was an escutcheon that not only had a locking screw to secure it to the pipe, but also a couple of recessed screws on the face to lock it to the cultured marble.

Quote Originally Posted by meinsc View Post
    I can get above the cultured marble, but that will lead to a lot more work than replacing a shower head, which is my wife's honey do item. I was hoping there was an escutcheon that not only had a locking screw to secure it to the pipe, but also a couple of recessed screws on the face to lock it to the cultured marble.
    None that I'm aware of, sorry. The plumbing is supposed to be securely fastened to the framing within the wall, which means no external/aftermarket gizmo is available.

Smile Re: Loose Shower Head Supply

You might try using some expanding foam to fill the voids around the entire piping system inside the wall. As long as you can squeeze the foam tube beside the pipe, behind the escutcheon, you should be able to put lots of foam in the wall cavity to secure the entire piping. Expanding foam gets pretty stiff, so it should prevent any sideways movement of the pipes. Just be sure you use plenty of the expanding foam, so the entire area around the pipe is filled. Better get the type of foam that does not expand too much, or it will force out the wall surface. I found that out one time, when I was installing a new door. I filled the spaces around the door with expanding foam, only to have it expand too much, forcing the entire jamb away from the wall. Had to use long screws to pull the jamb back in place so the door would close !!! Afterwards, I found out there are two different kinds of foam, one that does not over expand.