+ Reply to Thread

Default 36" stud spacing on knee wall...?

I would like to build some built-in shelves into the wall in my bonus room. The wall in question is the knee wall - the ceiling slopes down and the wall is 4.5 feet high. The studs are currently spaced 24" on center and the wall does not appear to be load-bearing (can a knee wall even be load bearing?) Putting the shelves inbetween the studs now would look a little "boxy" and I would like to make them wider. I propose removing two studs and replacing them with one in the middle....in two different places, effectively making 36" on center studs on the wall (see picture). A stud on either side remains 24" from the edge of the room. A stud in the middle remains unmoved. (the studs above the red dots).

So...

Is is possible to have 36" on center studs on the knee wall or does that break code? There's also an electrical outlet in the middle that I would like to remove...is there anything in the code that says that has to be there?

Thanks,

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	3182  

Default Re: 36" stud spacing on knee wall...?

The room sits above the garage. There's nothing behind the wall but a few feet of attic space. No pipes or anything else in the walls but the electrical outlets.

Greg