+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extend length of copper pipe under kitchen sink

Hello all. I just bought a new hot water dispenser as a replacement for my old one which had broke. I hooked up the faucet in the same sink mount as my old one and all was well until I attempted to hook up the cold water from faucet to wall. I was short about an inch. Is there anyway I could extend the joint? Thankyou. Below is a picture of situation.

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mb003smpt2.jpg

Default Re: Extend length of copper pipe under kitchen sink

you chould just go get a longer length of copper pipe from your local hardware store.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    you chould just go get a longer length of copper pipe from your local hardware store.
    Hmm the copper pipe is soldered onto the faucet. Are you talking about extending the length of copper pipe from faucet? I was thinking a coupler or some small fitting could be put on there to provide an extra inch. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by rboc View Post
    Hmm the copper pipe is soldered onto the faucet. Are you talking about extending the length of copper pipe from faucet? I was thinking a coupler or some small fitting could be put on there to provide an extra inch. Thanks for your response.
    Yes, you can get a crimp coupler and another length of copper tubing to extend the piece. You could probably stack multiple fittings together to make up the difference, but I wouldn't recommend that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Or a compression coupling and an additional piece of pipe.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Or a compression coupling and an additional piece of pipe.
    Jack
    Oops! That's what I meant, a compression coupler.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Oops! That's what I meant, a compression coupler.
    I told you to be careful or your head would explode.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I told you to be careful or your head would explode.
    Jack
    It's an awful lot like 'taters and 'totter's - same thing, right?

Thanks for all your replies. I did in fact pick up a compression coupler at the hardware store & some plastic tubing because they didn't have any copper tubing in adequate lengths. After taking it home I decided not to extend the main line, and instead move the hot water dispenser over a spot on my sink. The downside is that now my main water faucet doesn't swivel completely to the side.

Ok after doing some more research I decided to extend the length of the pipe using the plastic tubing I bought. This worked great except I cannot get a good seal on the copper pipe extending from the faucet. My first try was tearing so I tightend the compression down to much and water bursted out. Then I cut the old compression off and placed a new one on. The same thing is happening. I always hand tightend first and then if it teared I tightend it a minor bit more with wrench. My new seal is tearing and I dont want to over tightend it again. Is there anything I can do? thnx