+ Reply to Thread

Default drywalling on old brick

I need to hang drywall up onto a brick wall that is over 100 years old. I am afraid to put nails into it because of how old the bricks are. What is the best way to go about this?
    Kaddywac

Default Re: drywalling on old brick

Can you fir it out with wood like 2x4's sideways to save space or normal if you dont mind losing 3 1/2".

Just a suggestion.Hope this helps

we have used drywall mud as the adhesive on the back side of the drywall and then use just a couple of tension pins or concrete nails in the mortar joints (not the brick) when nailing do it in the recessed area because it does damage the rock a bit and the nail is only to hold it in place till the mud dries. as well as makes finishing easier because you then have no nail spots in the center of the board

What about using caulk to stick the drywall to the brick and use staples to pin the sheets while the caulk sets up?

Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

bunch of comedians around here.

If your bricks stay dry year round, and the wall is fairly flat and even, then yes, you can glue drywall to it.

Use a standard drywall adhesive, comes in tubes like caulk, Or, if you are in a hurry, large globs of hot mud spaced around on the back side of the drywall can also work. Press the drywall into place, and put something against it, if necessary, to hold it tight until the mud sets up.

Not being a comic here. I have glued drywall over (DRY) concrete basement walls without a problem, using only hot mud. The key is keeping the drywall flat pressed against the concrete. Sometimes the mud has enough suction over the relatively porous concrete to hold the drywall in place by itself.

The last time I did this was over tens years ago, and no compaints since then. Of course, as noted, you can only do this over truly dry surfaces, else all bets are off.

Yuk Yuk,
    Thanks for noticing the basis of my question. The house was built towards the end of the Civil War, using a local brick from Campville, Fl. The brick plant is long since gone, but it produced a good portion of the brick used in North Central Florida during the second half of the Nineteenth Century. Anyway, the brick is a softer brick, like others of that era, and the mortar is a 'on site' sand and lime mix. The walls of the house are two parallel bricks going around with every sixth row tying them together with bricks stacked perpendicularly. The inside was finished using 3/4" firing strips nailed to the mortar with cut nails, lathe was then nailed to the firing strips and a horse-hair plaster was used to finish the wall. The overall condition of the house is relatively good, just the usual re-pointing has been needed throughout the time our family has been living in the house (1968). All the other walls are sound and the ceiling will be easy because I will be able to screw into the wood.

So, Thanks again for any suggestions.
    Last edited by kaddywac; 07-30-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaddywac View Post
    Yuk Yuk,
    Thanks for noticing the basis of my question. The house was built towards the end of the Civil War, using a local brick from Campville, Fl. The brick plant is long since gone, but it produced a good portion of the brick used in North Central Florida during the second half of the Nineteenth Century. Anyway, the brick is a softer brick, like others of that era, and the mortar is a 'on site' sand and lime mix. The walls of the house are two parallel bricks going around with every sixth row tying them together with bricks stacked perpendicularly. The inside was finished using 3/4" firing strips nailed to the mortar with cut nails, lathe was then nailed to the firing strips and a horse-hair plaster was used to finish the wall. The overall condition of the house is relatively good, just the usual re-pointing has been needed throughout the time our family has been living in the house (1968). All the other walls are sound and the ceiling will be easy because I will be able to screw into the wood.

So, Thanks again for any suggestions.
    you still can put up drywall the way I suggested in the earlier post. this is the way we have done several historic homes that have been renovated right here in down town tallahassee. the reason you nail into the mortar joints is that the bricks will bust all apart if you tried to nail into them. you nail into the mortar joints just the same as they did the furring strips. the drywall mud will hold it in place once it dries you won't be able to rip the piece of drywall off with out busting it into small pieces. we have done homes this way in tallahassee, jacksonville, gainesville and ocala.

You could still use my idea and fir the wall with 2x4's and screw to the floor and ceiling without disturbing the brick. Still just a thought.