+ Reply to Thread

Question Walkway for wet yard.

I live near the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and my yard is very soggy most of the year. I need a walkway from my back door to my garage, approximately 30' long and not exactly a straight line. I put down 1 foot square pavers but that sank into the soggy grass within a few months. I am looking for a solution to this problem. I am retired and need to keep the cost within reason.

Default Re: Walkway for wet yard.

Could you post a photo or two; or could you describe the layout you have a little more.

Is there an asphalt or concrete driveway now going from near the back door to the garage that you can hitch up to and use as a walkway???

It sounds like you clearly have poor drainage (perhaps a lot of clay in your soil) that prevents adequate drainage whenever it rains.

One strategy is to dig a 2' deep ditch X 2' wide between the back door & the garage & install a perforated 4" drain pipe with a slight pitch toward or away from the garage, then a 3' circular ditch 4' deep to hold a drywell that will eliminate the wet area so that the pavers won't sink into the grass.

They have $5 packs of "spot lawn" seed that will replace the section of lawn that was dug up---or you can save the "patches" of grass lawn you dig up, set them aside, keep them watered, & replace them after installing the drain project---they will grow right back & you'll never know there was any work done on the yard.

This is a good diy project that costs a limited amount of $$$---the drain pipe (get the thinnest class perforated drain pipe plus the fittings they have at HD/Lowe's) is surprisingly low cost, you can then use the pavers your already have when the ground hardens.

Another strategy is to construct a square form 3' X 4' out of 2 X 4's (using 3" sheet rock or deck screws with a drill to fasten the ends) & pour some larger concrete pavers using the 60 lb. sacks of ready-mix concrete---the advantage to this is that a few bags of concrete can be bought at a time for a few $$$ & thrown in the car trunk, & a few concrete pavers can be done at your leisure, as time allows.

Also google "soggy yard" for numerous sites on this topic.

One of the sites below has a dry well kit available for $169---there's no need to buy anything, a drywell can be simply crushed stone, brick, rubble (but no wood), a plastic/steel barrel---anything handy laying around the house.

Last edited by dodsworth; 02-06-2010 at 03:20 PM.

The first course of action should be to figure out why it's soggy 24/7. From there it's choosing and install drainage and a base that isn't going to sink.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Casper, Wyoming

It would be best to first address this drainage problem and then proceed with the walkway. Do your neighbors have the same problems with their yard?
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Northern Virginia

If it's always wet, and you are pretty sure it's always going to be wet, then the only solution is a raised wooden walkway on pilings.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.