+ Reply to Thread

Default Wiring a new bathroom fan with old knob and tube wiring

I'm working on installing a new bathroom fan and when I pulled out the existing light switch to investigate wiring I found an older switch with looped black wiring. Our 90 year-old house has been partially updated from knob and tube wiring, but it looks like the bathroom fixtures still have old k&t wiring.

I've been searching all day through various discussion boards, and no one seems to be discussing this wiring solution/problem. What I have is two black wires, each of which has had a brief section of their insulation removed, and then looped around the screw on the switch. I assume that one loops to the lights and the other loops to the circuit box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	080719_1664.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1345

Is it possible to update this to a double switch, one that goes to the old light fixture (with the existing black wires) and the other that goes up to the fan (with new NM wiring)?

I'd love to do this myself if it is safe and possible, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Default Re: Wiring a new bathroom fan with old knob and tube wiring

Thanks for the quick reply. Enough there that I don't understand to convince me that I should hire someone to come in and do this for me.

w****stein,don't worry YukYuk tends to do that with her posts.

If you don't feel comfortable with electrical it's a good idea to call someone who does know what to do.Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to knob & tube wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    (incanescent lights still "work" although dangerously with electrified shell - not a good thing to wire an inductive load that way!).
    You don't mean that an incandesant light is inductive?

Hi all,
    follow up question: would it make any difference if I wanted to just add the fan to the same switch?
    Thanks