+ Reply to Thread

Default Leveling subfloor for hardwood. Questions.

I have an old home with hardwood throughout. The kitchen floor was damaged badly so I gutted it with plans to tile it. Took up the plank subfloor, leveled the joists and used 3/4 plywood over the joists. Plans changed now hardwood is going back there. The area where the plank subfloor and the plywood meet has a big dip in it as that joist is low for some reason. So my questions are:
    - Does anyone make a liquid floor leveler that can be nailed through?
    -Do I have to shim with wood?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all.

Default Re: Leveling subfloor for hardwood. Questions.

why did you replace 1x8" planks with only 3/4" plywood?

find out why the joist is failing or sagging, jack it or sister it back up. maybe it is rotted from your other leaks in the stone house or the ledger it is sitting on is rotted.

Default Re: Leveling subfloor for hardwood. Questions.

When I was going to install tile I was going to go over the 3/4 ply with 1/2 ply or 1/2 cement board. The joists are rough sawn and vary in thickness which is the reason for the random dips in the subfloor. The original floor was shimmed before the hardwood was installed so the finished floor is flat. I can shim it like the original was but I was just wondering if there was a better product out there such as floor leveler that I can use

Talking Re: Leveling subfloor for hardwood. Questions.

flatheadkid,

I have heard of people using concrete based self leveler in simular cases. This can be a very uneffective solution based on your water/compound ratio and the leveler eventually turning to dust. There is no actual wood floor self leveler that i know of.

However, from my understanding is that it is only one joist that is too low, and why not pop up the 3/4 board in that particular area and tie a sister into the low joist? Your sister joist does not have to be of equal height as the original as long as you have enough space to tow in 2 or 3 3" screws about every foot. just run a level across the farthest left point, screw that in, do the same on the right then check the middle for inconsistancies, it will usually need a slight pull up or push down. Secure the joists, pop the 3/4 back in and your set.
    Last edited by Select Renovations; 08-01-2008 at 08:03 PM.