+ Reply to Thread

Question Anchoring 10' X 10' metal gazebo

I have just laid down 12" X 12" patio blocks and need to anchor my 10'X10' gazebo to them. These blocks are cement and the base they are laid on is 2" of paving sand on top of regular clay soil. Any suggestions or products would be appreciated.

Default Re: Anchoring 10' X 10' metal gazebo

Line up the frame mounting holes over spaces in your pavers. Get longer L shaped stake pins then what came with the garden tent from a camping or sports outlet and use those. From experience at Va Beach, take off the top whenever strong winds are forecasted or your entire tent frame may end up through your window like a beach umbrella in a gale.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Masonry drill bit for pilot holes and tapcon fasteners (the blue screws).

From experience: take down the entire gazebo (not just the canvas top) before the winter, re-erect in the spring. (otherwise the frame will retain water and freeze (causing rusting from the inside out and rupturing or distorting the frame).
    You have have experienced water freezing and rupturing the metal frame during the winter in Florida?

Here in MN where we get smow and freezing temperatures I just take down the fabric top because of the snow. For the last 4 winters the frame has never ruptured or distorted. Mine is fastened down to a wood deck with screws.
    You could use a variety of different concrete fasteners like the screws or the anchoring bolts/screws with shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Line up the frame mounting holes over spaces in your pavers. Get longer L shaped stake pins then what came with the garden tent from a camping or sports outlet and use those. From experience at Va Beach, take off the top whenever strong winds are forecasted or your entire tent frame may end up through your window like a beach umbrella in a gale.
    Boy, it seems you and YukYuk have plenty of experiences.
    I disagree with the stake idea.
    Securing the frame down to concete blocks will help with anchoring from the weight of the blocks.

You could also get a tube of anchoring epoxy at your building supply store not Home Depot. This stuff becomes stronger then concrete. You could epoxy down small metal plate under the leg position and mark where the anchoring holes are, then drill a hole in that location and thread it so you can use machined screws so you can remove the gazebo during high winds.