+ Reply to Thread

Default Trim & Baseboards buried / flush with plaster

The trim, baseboards & picture molding in my home are flush with the walls in some places. We pulled the baseboards & some trim out of one room and we could see the layers of plaster, wallpaper, plaster, and maybe some drywall. This makes it really tough to paint - the plaster is jagged around some trim, the trim is actually recessed into the plaster in places, and it just looks like a mess. You can't tape anything off to paint because you can barely tell where the wall ends and the trim begins. Does anyone else have this problem? Why would anyone keep adding layers of wall to a room? Does anyone have a creative solution short of replacing all trim or tearing out the plaster & drywalling? Some of the worst places are in the turret of the house, in the curve. It makes for a very unpleasant painting experience.

Default Re: Trim & Baseboards buried / flush with plaster

It's called quick and dirty patch and sell. I would recommend removing the dry wall, stripping the paper and see if the plaster is repairable as a first step.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It's called quick and dirty patch and sell. I would recommend removing the dry wall, stripping the paper and see if the plaster is repairable as a first step.
    Jack
    or a flip fix or a was a rental. somebody didn't care what they were doing, could be scary things behind it maybe hiding bigger problems.

From shocking experience: turn off all the power before you start removing not just to the room, you don't know what might be running through the room or could be imbedded in the layers!

Even though it's not what you want to hear, the correct way would be to tear it down and fix anything underneath the added layers. You could do this one room at a time to cut down on the mess and the immediate expense.

I also have seen wires added in the layers of drywall to add receptacles where they were not before. Definetly something to watch out for!

On a side note, I have seen quick "flips" that have added layers of drywall that brought the wall surface close to the trim surface and they have gone around the trim with a thin border trim (lattice, screen mould, etc...) to create a separation between the two.

Not knowing your budget, this could be an inexpensive way to separate the two. However, this does not deal with any "hidden" problems underneath. Driving a nail into hidden wiring could prove to be a shocking experience. I highly recommend taking some layers off the walls and see what is going on underneath.

Some old houses the plasterers used the trim for screeds for the plaster.Thats the way my kitchen is. Although yous doesn't sound to be the case.