I don't even know how to use this site, but I read some of the posts and perhaps someone can assist me. I have a 120+ year old home with a wrap-around porch/pillars, etc. We replaced the flooring about 15 years ago but need to do it again, this time sealing all sides, as I have been reading. There are several places where the boards have given way despite the infrequent use. The original porch lasted 100 years and I'd like the next one to at least approach half of that. The weather is a factor...I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the porch has a roof over it but is not enclosed. I am looking for a viable, yet somewhat reasonable wood suggestion. Most likely, we will not be painting but rather staining the wood. I have been approaching this as if the wood choice were the problem last time (fir I think) but in fact, I suspect it was all about the lack of sealer that accounts for its short life. So is the product choice that important, or rather the wood prep and maintenance? Thanx