+ Reply to Thread

Default House Septic Smells

I have a Septic smell coming from my kitchen sink. It comes in at this location only. My home is 6 years old. I have no reason to think that my tank needs cleaning at this point. I have 4 bathrooms and I have no smell there..only the kitchen sink...thank you for any thoughts

Default Re: House Septic Smells

Quote Originally Posted by Marshplace View Post
    I have a Septic smell coming from my kitchen sink. It comes in at this location only. My home is 6 years old. I have no reason to think that my tank needs cleaning at this point. I have 4 bathrooms and I have no smell there..only the kitchen sink...thank you for any thoughts
    Do you have garbage disposal?

Does the ktichen sink have a trap?

I know that may sound like a dumb question, but....I know of an older home, converted into a B&B... which was plumbed without a trap on any of the bathroom fixtures.

Fly-by-nighter who gave them "a deal". He got paid and promptly hit the road. They realized shortly therafter that there was " a problem".

There is also the possibilty that the sink has a trap, but no proper vent...or has an obstructed vent.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-19-2008 at 10:23 PM.

After 6 years most septic tanks should have been pumped at least once.
    What you probably have is a build up of slime & gunk in the drain. Cleaning it with bleach, hot water or whatever will break up the slime should help. I've had this happen in the kitchen too probably behause of all the organic matter that goes down the drain, including grease that tend to build up.
    Another thought may be the vent is clogged and the trap is not holding water.

I do have a disposal..

Thank everyone for responding...It is sounding like a trap repair or replacement might solve my problem...I am very careful to keep sink and drain clean.