+ Reply to Thread

Default Grote medicine cabinet...

I'm doing a renovation on a home built circa 1947-48 and it has Grote medicine cabinets in each bathroom. I am looking for the cylindrical shades that go on these type of cabinets as one of them is missing. Please see the attached photo and if you can lend a hand please let me know. I have come up with a few globe substitutes but if the original shades can be found at a reasonable price, I prefer to use them.

Default Re: Grote medicine cabinet...

Hi. Saw your post. I also have a Grote medicine cabinet. Did you have any luck locating the cylindrical shades?

nitor13

No I never did. No luck finding an acceptable substitute either.

I have two cylindrical shades that are original to the cabinet, but each is fundamentally cracked; one is in pieces, while the other will likely break at any time. Unfortunately, as you probably know, Grote went out of the medicine cabinet business years ago to invest in the car industry.

What did you end up doing? Did you completely remove the cabinet? Or just make do with less than ideal substitutes?
    nitor13

Didn't remove the cabinets (I actually have two of these in my house) and haven't made a recent effort to seek out those passable substitutes I had found. I'm surprised someone doesn't make an aftermarket on this as we can't be the only two people needing them.

Best of luck. Let me know if you find any.

I don't know if anyone out there is still interested in this thread or not but I finally decided to get serious about finding a substitute for those missing shades on my Grote cabinet. I had not had any luck in my search to find an original shade. Or rather no luck in finding one at a reasonable price. I did find an individual but he wanted nearly $100.00 a shade before shipping and handling were added. I was wanting to stay under a $100.00 and get two shades. I did find a glass company up north who had a clear shade that came close to what I was seeking. It was two inches shorter than the Grote shade though and the base diameter would have been a tight fit indeed. Those shades were $56.00 apiece plus shipping and since they weren't quite what I wanted I decided not to follow through with the purchase.

The problem was I had no alternatives in mind but I didn't want to do away with the cabinets. So I decided to think outside the box a bit and came up with the idea of cutting down a glass tube of the appropriate diameter.

I ordered one of these--a 41mm standard wall Corning Pyrex borosilicate tube from Wale Apparatus. They come in four foot lengths so I had extra glass to work with. I then took it to a glass company in Memphis TN (Glassical) and had them cut it to my specified measurements (13.25) and then had them frost the glass for a look that approached that of the original shades.

I don't think it looks bad at all, the fit was perfect, and the price for both shades did come in under $100.00 albeit only just! Maybe this will be of some help to anyone in a similar predicament.

NOTE: I would post a photo of the shade but apparently unless you have a minimum post count you no longer can which makes this forum ALL BUT USELESS to the casual user or the first time DIYer. Incredible when you consider this is SUPPOSED to be a forum for home repair discussions and a photo can sometimes be an essential part of the discussion.

I also have a Grote medicine cabinet. One of the shades cracked when I put in a bulb with what was apparently too high a wattage. I found a pair of similar shades, though not as tall, at an architectural salvage store. If you don't have an architectural salvage store, you might try stopping by the Habitat ReStore in your area regularly. If you're not familiar with the Habitat ReStore, it's a store to benefit Habitat for Humanity. If you're doing a remodel, you can drop off items you might typically throw away (sinks, cabinets, doors, mirrors, hardware, and so on). They're then sold to anyone who's interested and at a very good price. There's a directory of stores on the Habitat for Humanity site.

I have a Grote medicine cabinet which also was missing the tubes. I've just used regular ugly bulbs in the sockets and it's functional but I finally had some pieces made which look pretty nice. They are approx. 13" long tubes which slide perfectly into base around a narrow tube type lamp. Honestly, the lighting isn't even but I think they look really nice. The top of the tube is rounded and they are frosted type white glass. As long as I was doing this, I thought that someone else may be interested in doing the same so I had 2 additional complete sets made. They aren't cheap but they won't break the bank either. If you're interested, just contact me and I can also supply a picture of the tubes.

I am updating my teens bathroom, something I swore I would never do until they left the house. I did purchase a wonderful grote medicine cabinet, all intact. But I simply cannot put in their bathroom, so I would like to find a pair of globes to go in the one already there. Please let me know where I can have some made. I have looked everywhere. Also if anyone knows where to find cabinet hinges with 1/2" inset and offset I would greatly appreciate it.