+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking shower head.

Our shower head has started leaking. I have checked the head itself and the tape is good, as well as the washers. The leak is not coming from the point where the head connects to the pipe, so I am pretty sure it has something to do with the valves in the handles. I took the shower head off and the drip is still coming from the end of the pipe. The plumbing in this house is pretty old and I am not sure how to replace the "cartridge" if that is even how these are set up. I would like to replace the knobs and everything if the problem is actually coming from the valves. Should any shower set from home depot fit? If not, how do I know what will? I can take pictures if it would help with advice on what to do.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Default Re: Leaking shower head.

Pictures would help greatly. Include the shower head, handle, hose, and valve in the wall. You will have to use a photo host, such as photobucket, and link the images here.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

- Shut the water to the house.
    - Remove the cartridge or stems (whichever you have), if you have the right tools.
    - Go to a plumbing supply place.
    - Pick up the exact same parts, made by the faucet manufacturer. After market parts are sometimes not as good.
    - Install the new parts and turn the water back on.

Still leaking? call a plumber.

General advice: If your house plumbing system is old, it may be the right time to re-pipe. Your plumbing system will not get better with time.

Thanks for the replies. I will take some pictures as soon as I have time. I am not really interested in changing out the all the pipes in that bathroom. It would require tearing down all the tile in the shower, and I am not financially ready for a bathroom reno.

Are these pipes copper ? plastic ? galvanized (grey metal) ? How old are they ?

"I am not really interested in changing out the all the pipes in that bathroom. It would require tearing down all the tile in the shower, and I am not financially ready for a bathroom reno."

I hear what's you're saying. BUT...

If you wait for a disaster to happen to do a re-pipe, it might be too late. People under pressure tend to pay more for plumbing than people who are not under pressure.

If it were me, I would take a home improvement loan and do it. Seriously.