+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulation

Post Insulation

Can you install insulation behind GP DensGuard tile backer board in the bathroom? On their web site it only says not to use a vapor barrier and nothing about insulation.We are removing the "brick nogging" from in between the studs that Senior Member JLMCDANIEL advised me on.The bricks were the only "insulation" in the walls.If allowed what would be the best insulation for this bathroom? Thanks in advance. Jim

Default Re: Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimsayreville View Post
    Can you install insulation behind GP DensGuard tile backer board in the bathroom? On their web site it only says not to use a vapor barrier and nothing about insulation.We are removing the "brick nogging" from in between the studs that Senior Member JLMCDANIEL advised me on.The bricks were the only "insulation" in the walls.If allowed what would be the best insulation for this bathroom? Thanks in advance. Jim
    I e-mailed GP about this and they said "you can insulate but don't use a vapor barrier".

Curious .... I haven't been able to find anything that directly states not using a vapor barrier.

The 2006 IRC states in Section R702.3.8.1 that “Water-resistant gypsum backing board (Greenboard) shall not be used where there will be direct exposure to water.”

Cement, fiber-cement or glass mat gypsum backers installed in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations shall be used as backers for wall tile in tub and shower areas and wall panels in shower areas.”

So ... basically this product is an approved backing material to be used in a wet are such as a shower/bath.

The problem I see is if your local code requires the exterior wall to have an approved vapor barrier .... it's unclear if this product qualifies as an approved vapor barrier.

If so then applying this product would require complete and continious coverage from the ceiling to the floor the entire exterior wall in the wet area.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

forget my post here, was out in the sun toooooo long way to hot today
    Last edited by havanagranite; 07-21-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Ok .... forget about my reply to your reply.
    Last edited by canuk; 07-21-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush