+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Garage wall rotting, ground leakage

Would our installing a sump pump on the north end of the garage suffice to remove accumulated ground water (mainly spring thaw) on front of garage?
    I can't find anyone to help me fix the ground water problem which produces a lot of water inside of the garage 2-3 days in the spring. Large cracks are appearing in the floor. Walls are bolted down on a slab of cement (no foundation/old garage). My yard is low ground - standing water at times if heavy rains. Other than hiring a house mover to jack it up and thousands of dollars (ten or more) to remove and/or add new cement, I need a cheaper solution.
    What can I do? As you can see by the pictures, the wall is rotting. I added the cement to some of the wall in the pictures.
    If the sump pump idea is a likely solution, how do I install it to help create the drainage?
    I think I would run a hose or pipe along the west side of the garage, out to the street for the run off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close rot.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	1338  

Default Re: Garage wall rotting, ground leakage

You are on the right idea -- you need to get the water away from the wood.

From your description I am picturing the front of your garage as being the low spot in your yard. It is also the low spot in the surrounding area?

Ideally you would collect the water in some kind of drain (perhaps a surface drain or a French drain). See the links below for a description of a French drain and how to install it.

Wikipedia explanation of a French Drain
    Roger Cook explains how to install a French Drain
    More instructions on how to install a French Drain
    One more article on how to install a French Drain
    What to do with the water you collect

You have to give the water you collect somewhere to go. You could run the collection pipe out to daylight (as they say) but this would require that there is a lower spot to which you can safely and ethically direct your water (i.e., not in your neighbor’s yard, for one thing). If you can’t drain the water to daylight then you could drain it to a drywell or a rain garden.

As far a sump pump, it might be possible to do this but then you still have to have a place to send the water to. I’d look at the drain systems first. Do you think this would work in your situation?

Default Re: Garage wall rotting, ground leakage

Would our installing a sump pump on the north end of the garage suffice to remove accumulated ground water (mainly spring thaw) on front of garage?
    Are you considering the sump pit/pump located inside the garage?
    If so that won't really solve the problem.

You need to take care of the drainage outside preventing the water from getting inside the garage in the first place.
    Sounds as though attention needs to be given to filling in the low spots with grading away from the garage and/or the possibility of an exterior drain to divert the water elsewhere
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Question Re: Garage wall rotting, ground leakage

CANUK, Thank you so much for your input. The lowest ground is the north wall (enclosed) where the water is entering. I believe it is ground water, as stated previously, since the water only enters the floor as the ground thaws in the spring. Yes, the area is all low. We plan to dig a hole 5-6 ft. deep (outside/middle of the garage); put in a culvert (plastic pvc pipe w/holes - 12 inchess wide); fill in sand/gravel. The sump pump, with the garden hose running out to the street, I think would be okay running down the street. I will investigate the French drain links you provided now. Thank you.