+ Reply to Thread

Default cable or antenna wriring

Hello! I've recently moved into a beautiful house built in 1936. Most everything is original, including the old plaster walls. It is in amazingly good shape with few cracks. The builder who looked at the house with me called it "pristine." Unfortunately, it has never been wired for some of our more modern conveniences like television! I'm considering having cable lines fished but am afraid of damaging the plaster. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks!

Default Re: cable or antenna wriring

First, putting in boxes for cable TV connection is no different than putting in boxes for new outlets of light switches. A minimal amount of damage which is easily repaired.

But, second, if you want it done right, higher a contractor to install the cable. The contract people for cable companies generally get paid by the job ad will do the least amount of work they can get away with. Usually running the cable around the outside of the house and through a wall near the TV's. You can have a contractor run the cable through the basement and up through the walls and install wall boxes with the proper cover plates.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Not much to add to Jack's post ..... other than be aware of some "hack" installers from the cable companies trying to run the cable stapled to the basebords.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The one that installed my SIL's cable drilled a hole in the back corner of the room ran the cable across the floor to the TV, and refused to even move a piece of furniture to put it along the wall let alone staple it to the baseboard. She's a dual amputee in a wheel chair. If she had called me I would have brought my 357 and had it installed correctly. I have no tolerance for people like that.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks you guys! That makes me feel better.
    I had a terrible experience with the phone - the house had one original hard wired phone that the previous owner was still renting. The executor had to cut it out and send the phone back to ATT! I had it replaced with a "new-style" jack and and one added around the corner for the computer. I had just had the quarter cut white oak floors redone. The contractor actually took off her boots to walk into the room -- then proceeded to drill a whole in the floor for the line instead of putting it in the wall! So, I guess the trick will be finding the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Not much to add to Jack's post ..... other than be aware of some "hack" installers from the cable companies trying to run the cable stapled to the basebords.
    Or like the one that installed the cable here, brought the line to the junction on the side of the house and then proceeds to poke a hole in the wire mesh of the sub area access door and puts the wire through the do so that it couldn't be opened.

Lori, I would recommend talking with trusted friends and family for a lead to a contractor and/or an electrician. Regardless of who you hire, make it clear what your needs are (no destructive work, clean, neat, ect. ), even to the point of including it in the written contract. IMHO, much of that would be common sense and implied, however it's amazing just how many people will do their work, leave a mess, and it's up to you to clean up after them and/or hire another person to repair holes or careless damage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Uh, oh....knob and tube wiring??? What is that and how would I know?
    Thanks!

Back before the days of Romex - a single housing with insulated conductors inside - there were two wires and they were run separately, insulators were used to attach the wire to or through the framing. The insulators that attach the wire to the surface are called knobs, insulators that pass through are called tubes.

I'll let the electricians explain the pro's and con's of wiring of that era.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!