+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Light/exhaust fan combo?

When we first moved into our NJ house a year ago, an electrician told us that we would not be able to install the surface mount light fixture we had bought because any lighting near or above a bath/shower had to be recessed lighting. I am going to install an exhaust fan and I see that there are several light/fan combos in the exact same surface-mount style we wanted to install originally. Is what he said correct--that because this is not a recessed style we can't install it above the shower even if it has an exhaust fan inside it?

Also, this bathroom is extremely tiny. Picture looking up at the ceiling and seeing an "L" shape. This L is the available flat surface for a light/fan combo. The longer section if the L sits just above a bath tub and is that same size approximately. The shorter section is above the vanity. There is also a sloped section of ceiling that extends downward from the short section of the L parallel and alongside the longer section of the L. What is the most appropriate place for an exhaust fan in this type of room--a light/fan combo on one of the flat sections of the L or an exhaust fan on the slope vented directly out to the roof? With the shower curtain blocking the only available light from the vanity, it would be nice to get some light into the tub...

Thanks!

Default Re: Light/exhaust fan combo?

Could you provide a link for the light/fan so we can see what product you are describing?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

There are various models, but something like this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...202&lpage=none

It seems the base of the fixture is exposed metal which is a shock hazard if installed in the shower area. Because it's a surface mount this wouldn't be acceptable or approved to be installed in a wet area such as a shower.

Depending on your local code it may be the fixture wouldn't be able to be installed any closer than 3 feet to the shower.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ceiling height is 8 feet.

THanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by nugentcn View Post
    Ceiling height is 8 feet.

THanks for all your help!
    There needs to be a 8'above the water level of the tub when it is full to install the fixture above the tub. so your electrician was right not to install it.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Thought it was six feet above the rim and three feet out, as long as ceiling recessed or ceiling surface flush mounted closed wet/damp location, as applicable, zoned and listed fixture. Looked like this was recessed fan box/ceiling flush surface mount and covered/enclosed light (pictured link) and not a suspended fixture; and that nothing suspended could be closer than 8 feet above and 3' out, with the model codes.

Example, the 2005 NEC addresses this location installation in article 410.4(A) and 410.4(D) [2008 in 410.10 (A) and article 410.10 (D) makes it clear proper fixture is allowed here when properly rated and of an appropriate style and mounting type].

Of course your local authority having jurisdiction (and any local code adoptions, amendments, laws) may have different guidelines.

Not knowing the rating of the fixture, if you have equipment grounding available, nor if you have a controlled fixed shower mounted on an arm, or a shower wand, nor what your local code rules are, I see no problem using this a fixture such as this in your bathroom.
    I ask again your credentials????
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Thought it was six feet above the rim and three feet out, as long as ceiling recessed or ceiling surface flush mounted closed wet/damp location, as applicable, zoned and listed fixture. Looked like this was recessed fan box/ceiling flush surface mount and covered/enclosed light (pictured link) and not a suspended fixture; and that nothing suspended could be closer than 8 feet above and 3' out, with the model codes.

Example, the 2005 NEC addresses this location installation in article 410.4(A) and 410.4(D) [2008 in 410.10 (A) and article 410.10 (D) makes it clear proper fixture is allowed here when properly rated and of an appropriate style and mounting type].

Of course your local authority having jurisdiction (and any local code adoptions, amendments, laws) may have different guidelines.

Not knowing the rating of the fixture, if you have equipment grounding available, nor if you have a controlled fixed shower mounted on an arm, or a shower wand, nor what your local code rules are, I see no problem using this a fixture such as this in your bathroom.
    [2008NEC in 410.10 (A) and article 410.10 (D) makes it clear proper Luminaries is allowed here when properly Marked as damp or wet locations. The distance vertically is 8' from the rim. I was in error saying water level.

Leslie re-read your code book
    Harry

[QUOTE=YukYuk;30211]The fixture pictured is a surface mount with a closed lense, it is allowed if the unammened NEC is the controlling code adoption, if damp location rated/listed and not subject to shower spray, and wet location rated/listed if sujected to shower spray. 2008 added language to make this clear. Fixture pictured is not a cord, cable, or chain connected fixture, not a suspended paddle fan, not track lighting. Model plumbing and building codes are not mute on the subject either.

I stand by my earlier post.

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters....y&letterID=397[/QU

Leslie, I see that attached pictures and i respect mike holt's expertise. But I still disagree as nonoe of these are GFI protected and I in real practice would never install a fan light in a shower lower then 8'. So we can agree to disagree.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post

Leslie, I see that attached pictures and i respect mike holt's expertise. But I still disagree as nonoe of these are GFI protected and I in real practice would never install a fan light in a shower lower then 8'. So we can agree to disagree.
    Ravens53, using my name in vain?

You do have so many problems though: quoting, comprehending,

employment, admitting when you're wrong.