+ Reply to Thread

Default Burying Electrical Wiring to Outbuilding

Hello, All:

I'm happy to see some familiar names still here!

I need to bury some wiring to a small shed/barn I built approximately 40 feet from the house. When I finished off my garage, I ran a separate 20 amp GFI circuit that I capped off on the exterior of the house nearest the barn.

Now I need to connect from there to the barn and I would prefer to do it underground.

My question: How far under the surface should the wiring be run? I'm planning on using the gray PVC conduit available in most hardware stores. The surface above the are where I will run the wiring will be (and will remain for the foreseeable future) as sod / grass.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Default Re: Burying Electrical Wiring to Outbuilding

Per 08 NEC table 300.5 column 4, 12" per your description.

Best to check with your locale building dept. Some places require a deeper depth than NEC and also may require signage.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Per 08 NEC table 300.5 column 4, 12" per your description.
    I agree with Kent unless it is under a road
    Harry

Thanks to all who replied.

I'll check with the local bldg inspector and do it right.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    Using the PVC is a good plan. Tip: Slipping a pull rope through the sections of PVC as you are fitting them together, makes for an easy install of the wire.

DB
    Yes, I've also heard a little dish detergent can help the wire slide through easier over a long run.

Thanks,

Tim

I too have used dish soap for pulling lube in the past. However, I've also had to replace wiring where dish soap was used. The stuff never really dries and turns to a sticky mess.

We use a line blower and jet line most of the time but a low tech way to do it is to tie a line to one of those really thin plastic bags you get from the corner gas-n-go and suck them through with a shop vac.

Quote Originally Posted by TRLambert View Post
    Yes, I've also heard a little dish detergent can help the wire slide through easier over a long run.

Thanks,

Tim
    Dish soap has Lanolin in it. It has been know to damage the insulation on wires. That is why they make a special pulling lubricant. Ideal 77 is one of them. There are alot of nicknames for this stuff but I won't go there.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    I too have used dish soap for pulling lube in the past. However, I've also had to replace wiring where dish soap was used. The stuff never really dries and turns to a sticky mess.

We use a line blower and jet line most of the time but a low tech way to do it is to tie a line to one of those really thin plastic bags you get from the corner gas-n-go and suck them through with a shop vac.
    Many a time you do not even need a balloon on the end of the twine. Just as you posted, suck the twine though with a trusty shop-vac....