+ Reply to Thread

Default New Lawn mowers - unable to change oil

Hi guys,

I really enjoy the show, especially some of the restorations youíve done. I have a lawn care question for you. The drive train in my Toro lawn mower finally went after over ten years of service.

I went out to replace it with another Toro, we have a quarter acre lot so we donít need an industrial size lawn mower but now it appears that you canít change the oil on the new lawn mowers without tipping the machine on their side or upside down.

Toroís engines are being built by Briggs & Stratton and it appears the only way to drain the oil is to remove the blade, break the factory seal on the chasse of the lawn mower and remove the engine.

Are there any lawn mowers out there that a home owner can still service without spilling gasoline and/or oil on the ground?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Sullivan

Default Re: New Lawn mowers - unable to change oil

Remove the oil fill cap , tip the mower over on it's side and drain the oil into a suitable container . Seriously .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Remove the oil fill cap , tip the mower over on it's side and drain the oil into a suitable container . Seriously .
    ... After running 95% of the fuel out of the machine. There may also be a drain plug in the side of the crankcase if it is no longer under the machine. If they've redesigned the mower deck so that it covers the drain plug, then drill a hole in the deck in the desired location for access to the plug.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you bought it new you should have a manual or probably download one that will tell you how. The last one I bought a few years ago has to be tipped to drain it out of the fill hole. On mine the safety clutch that stops the blade gets in the way of a traditional plug in the bottom. Run out the gas first before you tip.

all above suggestions is good.

If that seem like too much work for you then try suction gun.

You can find them at any auto parts store but I must caution you. Cheapo suction gun don't last long time, be prepare to spend at least 40 to 60 dollars for good gun.