+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Re: building new entryway and outside door

Hello,
    Well, much progress is being made! A friend had an older door, so my husband put up hinges, and we now have a door! Then, since the step was in the way, husband sawed the step just enough for the door to swing. We have a carpet on the step, and it hangs down over the cut! The support for the step was cut a little, and husband just moved the cut support back under the still existing part of the step! We have support! So, we have a door that hangs and swings! Today I have primed the door, and have painted one side. Tonight it may be dry enough for me to paint the other side (or will wait until tomorrow). Then, we will buy a knob, a deadbolt, and my husband will install them. And, our door will be about done! We will have to put down a little flooring (about 1x3 inches) which the step used to cover. And, a little linoleum over that (will check on scraps at the hardware store). But, it is just about done! Thank you to so many people who gave their input on how to do this! We couldn't have done it without TOH!

Smile Re: building new entryway and outside door

Hello,
    Thought I would give an update on our project. We have our new inside door up. My husband put it up, and it works great! We got hardware and everything, and it works so good. Still need to cover the floor in the area of the no-more step, but that is minor. It was not the easiest project to hang a door there, because none of the corners were square, so the door isn't either! And, can't put on a sash because of the unevenness of the floor - 2 inches difference from one wall to the steps! We have a true THIS OLD HOUSE! Thank you for all of the help!

Default Re: building new entryway and outside door

Maggie,
    Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the follow-up.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb