+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default building new entryway and outside door

Hello,
    We live in a very old home, built 1863. The back door was added in 1880, and opens up (after 2 1/2 ft square landing) to steps going down to cellar, and also up 3 steps (to right of screen door) going up to laundry room (was original kitchen). There is just a screen door at this back door. Since the 3 steps going up are in the way (they are a little in front of screen door), we can't put an inside back door there, and we are thinking of going out from the existing screen door instead. What we think is the best way is to extend the back opening a little, add a slanted roof over the new entryway, and add a new screen door and inside door. We do not want to extend the entry very much because there is a wooden deck to the left (outside) of the screen door. Does this seem workable? We are just starting on the thinking of how to add an inside door, and would really value opinions on if this is feasible to do something like this!
    Thank you, Maggie

Default Re: building new entryway and outside door

Maggie, you have a very convoluted set up, perhaps if you could post some pictures or drawings to make it a little clearer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hello,
    Thank you so much for responding!
    I am enclosing 2 pictures. One is the inside and steps to the left in the picture (I was standing on the basement steps looking up). The other is the outside of the door with the deck and deck steps on the left. Please let me know if you would like some more explanation or pictures!
    Thank you, Maggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside door and steps2008-07-16_15-28-27.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	1340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outside door and deck2008-07-16_15-28-44.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	1341  

I don't have exact meassurements but because your landing is so small I would sugest you build out to the steps and put the door 90 degrees to where it is. see below. The red would be the addition.

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbb.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	1342  

So the outside door would be right beside the deck steps? So, coming up the walk, one can either go inside or go up the deck steps? I had never thought of this way! I will tell my husband what you have suggested, and see what he thinks! One drawback is that the hose spigot will be right behind the doorway. (It comes out of the wall to the left of the existing door - it is under the deck to the left of the door.) Of course, we could do something so that any water leaking from the spigot would not go towards the new wall. I'll let you know what he thinks!
    Thank you, Maggie

The other thing I noticed is that the treads on the steps look very wide. it may be possible to build new steps that meet code and end before the door frame. With that it's going to be a tght wing with only a 32 " platform.
    Jack

Hi,
    We have looked at various options, and am thinking that if we round the steps off a little just so the inside door could open, that that would be the best way at this time. We mentioned possibly needing an inside door to a friend, and he has an extra one - 32 inches wide! He is bringing it over today. We will need to build an inside door frame, and I'm not sure how to do that. But, my husband may know plus I will check at TOH to see if it is on there!
    I will let you know how it all turns out!
    Thank you!

Hello,
    I'm afraid this won't work. We have a deck that the outside door would be up against all of the time. It's not too hard to not open up the outside screen door all of the way, but a wood door would be in the way if it was open all of the time.
    My friend brought the inside door over earlier today. It is the right size! And, it sits in the door opening that is already there! Yeah! Now all we have to do is figure out about the bottom step - it looks like it is just a wood frame step. However, we will see when getting into it! My husband has an idea as to how to get into it. At least, I hope he does!
    Thank you, Maggie

Hello,
    I'm sorry, I did not get all of your post! I just got a response that you had posted again!
    I am going to show my husband what you said, and see what he says.
    Thank you, Maggie

Angry Free Wallpapers,Top Wallpapers

Looktop.com are very popular Desktop Wallpapers downloads site. Wallpaper on the computer screen changes the look of the screen within a moment. Wallpapers help us enjoy beautiful sights. With free wallpapers, top wallpapers,we can view great photographs on our desktop.
    My favorite Hidden Content WebSite.