+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kudzu & bamboo

Hybrid View

Default kudzu & bamboo

Has anyone found a solution to control both of the pest plants? The bamboo is envasive from my neighbor's yard and the kudzu is just every where.

Default Re: kudzu & bamboo

Kudzu is a bane you might have to deal with the rest of your life. Remove all of it from your property. If any is coming from a neighbors property, ask them to deal with theirs, or it will soon become yours.

As for the bamboo, shame on your neighbor! Bamboo is equally invasive, and anyone planting it should properly contain it. Your neighbor should have installed metal plating or other blockage well down into the soil at first planting, with some type of wall above ground. He should also be snipping offshoots as they crop up. To handle the bamboo, you may have to dig down 2-3 feet along the area it is creeping in at, and install a metal/concrete/plastic plate/wall to keep it from creeping. You'll still need to trim off shoots constantly.

Google on "+controlling +bamboo", there are lots of good sites out there on controlling it. You might also try a Google on "+controlling +kudzu".
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Talking Re: kudzu & bamboo

Hi, I live in south Georgia where kudzu is rampant. I watched a program not to long ago where the military places goats on some bases to control the kudzu, no joke. They say it is the only way to control it. So if you want to control the kudzu and bamboo and get back at the neighbors I guess a couple of pet goats might would work, lol.

What if goats or sheep are not an option. My fences are not good enough to keep them where they are supposed to be, but the "running" bamboo is really running. Help me if you can. Are there any ways to sell the bamboo or give it away for someone to make fishing poles, etc? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kathy rogillio View Post
    What if goats or sheep are not an option. My fences are not good enough to keep them where they are supposed to be, but the "running" bamboo is really running. Help me if you can. Are there any ways to sell the bamboo or give it away for someone to make fishing poles, etc? Thanks
    As noted in the links I previously posted, you basically have to dig down around 3 feet at the point you want to stop the bamboo, then install a steel/concrete/plastic barrier. One of the sites also notes that it is best to angle the top of the barrier away from the bamboo patch where it sticks out of the ground (it should stick out several inches), to force the runners up in the air. This should make it easier to cut them back.

If it is a neighbors patch, you really should consider asking them to help pay for the construction of barriers, as they should have built barriers before planting the bamboo.

You could also ask them nicely if they'd consider removing the bamboo, or moving it elsewhere on their property so it stop encroaching (which won't be an easy job, so don't be surprised if you receive a no).

As for giving it away, try freecycle.org to see if you have a local chapter, or Craigslist. You might find someone willing to come cut it down and take it, as bamboo can be useful for many projects.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

I had a huge bamboo problem when I bought my house. Hours of research yielded a solution that requires perseverance: First, cut down all shoots to the ground. Next, because I'm going organic, I do not use a chemical. Instead, pour store-bought vinegar directly onto the shoots you've cut back; do this when the ground is very DRY. Check periodically for new shoots; when they appear (any size-young shoots are easier), cut back and give 'em a dose of vinegar. This did the job in 4 locations in my yard--not hard work just persistence. Your challenge will require constant vigilance since your neighbor provides perpetual invasion. The other suggestions seem to be more permanent.

Carol

Never heard of the store-bought vinegar solution. Thx.

This product has worked very well whenever I have needed to "deal with" difficult vines.

There is a product called "Garlon"(I may not be spelling this correctly) that I have used on woody-type plants & vines and it kills great! For the more stubborn/older/well-established growths, I've used it full-strength.

For smaller problems I either brush it on the leaves and let the plant absorb it to the roots, or I'll spray it on.

Be warned though, if any of it gets on other woody-type plants, it will kill them too. It is similar to the OTC "Round-up, Weed-be-gone" etc... except it only works on woody vegitation. One can also mix equal parts of Garlon and Weed-be-gone to make the mixture even hotter, but then you will kill every plant in sight if the over-spray comes in contact.

As for availablity, I grow Christmas trees as a hobby, so I can obtain it through various suppliers that way.

Will probably work well on the neighbors bamboo too although there will be some die-back on their side--but there's always the 5th Amendment for that!

Good luck,

Rijell