+ Reply to Thread

Default Pre-wiring with foam insulation

I am about to start building a new home and I am using foam insulation. my question is what is the smartest and best process for making wiring easy. What I am saying is that do you guys think I should run pvc pipe from every outlet which would allow me to run wire freely whenever I need it. Please help. Any advise would help.

Default Re: Pre-wiring with foam insulation

We're doing something similar save in a brick gut rehab.

I'm thinking that I'll run wiring as usual, and then put empty conduit running from the basement up 3 floors in two or three places. That ought to set me up fine for almost any contingency that I haven't thought of yet.

That's my thinking, anyway. I'm open to reading other folks thoughts.
    Our DIY Rehab Manual at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bertthesquirt View Post
    I am about to start building a new home and I am using foam insulation. my question is what is the smartest and best process for making wiring easy. What I am saying is that do you guys think I should run pvc pipe from every outlet which would allow me to run wire freely whenever I need it. Please help. Any advise would help.
    If the added expense isn't an issue then running conduit won't hurt.

Curious though ... "which would allow me to run wire freely whenever I need it. "
    running more wires after the electrical is already in place?
    If so then you need to ensure it's large enough to accomodate extra wires.

Also if you want to run future coax and/or Cat rated 5, 6 ,etc. through these conduits , it's not advisable to be in the same run as electrical wires .... interferance issues.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I did a gut rehab on an old condo and ran new electric in EMT conduit and coax + telecom wiring in plastic flex pipe (terminating behind telecom face plates on the walls - boxes aren't required for low voltage). I spent a few extra bucks and included a nylon pull line in each conduit. It worked out well, and if anyone decides to upgrade to a new type of wiring, they can pull it through the conduits without any hassle.

One note - don't mix electrical wiring and low-voltage wiring in the same conduit or box - it isn't safe or up to code in most places.