+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Caulk over old glazing for a quick fix?

I have some old french windows that I just want to look good for curb appeal, the glazing is cracking, brittle and falling out in some spots. I don't want to take the time to reglaze them as I just want a quick fix!! Is it possible to use caulk over the old stuff and knife it down smooth for a quick fix. Thanks.

Default Re: Caulk over old glazing for a quick fix?

Yes, but as you understand, it's a quick fix. Eventually, you'll have to sc**** it all out and do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBL View Post
    Yes, but as you understand, it's a quick fix. Eventually, you'll have to sc**** it all out and do it right.
    Me thinks he intends for someone else to do that.

Note - "curb appeal". House for sale, likely.

If you really are going to sell your home, then go for the caulking. Even if you plan to stay, this kind of quick fix works well, I did it around some of our windows too. It didn't last very long though. I think the sun light made it peel quicker than we thought it would. You may want to make some time to do the reglazing.

Caulk will hold for about 3-6 months before it starts to fail and look poopy, try to use a Dap caulk product.to minamize your labour use a clear elastomeric caulk.
    Personaly glazing only takes about two minutes more and will last for years.