+ Reply to Thread

Default bathroom wiring question

My weekend project is to install a ceiling ventilation fan and recessed light over the shower in our master bathroom. I have already purchased the fan and wet location luminaire. The issue as hand is figuring out how to wire these things.

The bathroom currently is serviced by a 20A branch circuit that also covers an adjacent bathroom. This is on a standard (not GFCI) breaker. The bathroom has a switch-operated vanity light and one 15A GFCI duplex outlet with no attached load (the GFCI outlet does not protect anything "downstream").

I understand that the shower light must be connected with GFCI protection. I'm not 100% sure about the fan (it will be installed in the middle of the room and not directly over the shower), but I figure it wouldn't hurt to have that GFCI protected, also.

Is it permissible/advisable to use the load side of the existing GFCI duplex to power the light and/or fan? It is conveniently located next to the desired location for the wall switches for the new light and fan. If so, this will save me the expense of a GFCI breaker and about 50 feet of Romex back to the service panel.

I want to make sure my installation is legal by code, but don't want to spend unnecessary money (I have lots of other projects that need done around here, too). Thoughts?
    -Cameron Lashley

Default Re: bathroom wiring question

Since your 20 amp bath circuit also serves another bath room outlet you can not.
    According to NEC 210.11[C]{3** No other devices allowed on the receptacle circuit, unless the dedicated 20 amp circuit supplies only ONE bathroom. But that very same section does allow two bath outlets, being different bathrooms on one dedicated circuit.
    Adding to the confusion somewhat, you could use that dedicated circuit if it only supplied one bath, to power the fan/light combo.
    One of those sections in the NEC clear as mud.....

Default Re: bathroom wiring question

If that shower fixture is recessed and rated for use in damp location it doesnt require gfci protection.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content