+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered Guest

Post Glass Into Old Solid Cabinet Doors

Is it possible to insert glass into old existing cabinet doors? If so, are there any step-by-step plans for doing so AND is it worth the time and effort?

Default Re: Glass Into Old Solid Cabinet Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is it possible to insert glass into old existing cabinet doors? If so, are there any step-by-step plans for doing so AND is it worth the time and effort?
    Sure, it can be done, but depending on your original doors, it can be a considerable task. You need to remove the original - wood, I presume - panel. Wood panels generally are free-floating - not glued in.

To remove them, you'll need to disassemble the door, which may not be an easy task if the glue joints are really solid, or if they're pinned.

An alternative would be to remove the back (inside) portion of the slot that the panel fits in and just let the panel drop out. This could be done with a router, but will require a lot of care and finesse.

Whichever method you use, once the panels are out, you need to remove the inner part of the slot to leave a channel - not unlike a picture frame - for the glass to fit into. Then you'll have to make some very thin - like 3/16" thick X 1/4" wide - molding to retain the glass in the frames.

Overall, not easy tasks, but certainly do-able. I've actually done several - using both methods.

BTW, if the top of the panel is arched, it makes the job a lot more of a hassle. You'll need to cut out enough of the back of the arched rail to allow you to use a straight edged glass panel. Again, a job for the router or else careful hand work with chisels, saws and maybe a router plane.

Depending on the style of door you have, it may actually be easier to make new door 'frames' for the glass. That would be my preference, I think.
    Jim D.