+ Reply to Thread

Thread: uneven floor

Smile uneven floor

i have vinyl tile on my bathroom floor which leads out to a hardwood hallway. I want to lift the vinyl and put down ceramic tile but when I do this the bathroom floor will be higher than the hardwwod hallway. It is even now with the vinyl but ceramic will be thicker.Help

Default Re: uneven floor

If the floors are level now (in the same plane) putting down ceramic is only going to create a 3/8" height difference - just install a marble threshold at the door jamb transition and no one will ever notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    in a renovation that happens, the only way to make things line up evenly is to allow for the differences at the early stages of laying floors

is there floor underlay installed on the bathroom floor? if so you will have to pull this up from the sheathing. the mortar needs a clean substrate to be applied to for it to hold tile properly. the old underlay is probably full of glue which is no good. also this will allow you to line up the floors more accurately,

other wise you will need a transition strip to accomodate the 2 different heights
    the room had carpet when we bought the house, when i lifted it the floor was bad so we had a new subfloor put down.Can I lay the tile on the subfloor after I remove the tile and any glue?

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    If the floors are level now (in the same plane) putting down ceramic is only going to create a 3/8" height difference - just install a marble threshold at the door jamb transition and no one will ever notice it.
    thanks i quess that is the best i can do i like the look of the floor even with the wood hallway but I can not lower the floor.

I am somewhat perplexed. You've stated that you installed a new subfloor in the bathroom and now the vinyl floor sits level with the abutting hardwood floor. What type of subflooring was used? Was it 3/4" ply? What type of subfloor lies beneath the hardwood? 1/2"? If so, no good. I would be more concerned about the strength and integrity of the subflooring at this point than about the finishes. If proper, level subflooring is used throughout, the disparity between hardwood and ceramic tile should be minimal.In fact, abutting 3/4" hardwood(assuming that's what you have), you should be able to install a 5/16" cement backer or DITRA under your tile and still be able to get away with T-molding or a modest reducer for the transition.
    It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody AllenHidden Content