+ Reply to Thread

Post Can the brick be removed from in between the wall studs?

We had a leak from our toilet that damaged the floor. We have to replace the whole floor as it must of had water problems before. Anyway we decided to redo the whole bathroom over. We started taking down the tile and the drywall and then found plaster under them.Then we started taking down the plaster to gut the whole room down to the studs and there is brick in btw the studs.The bathroom is right next to an addition.Looking at the walls it looks like it was the outside wall before.The wall is running perpindicular with the joists.It only runs the length of the bathroom wall. The joists run all the way through to the attic of the addition.Can I remove the brick because the studs are there? It looks as they left it there for insulation. Thank for any help in advance.
    Last edited by bigjimsayreville; 07-17-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Default Re: "Brick in walls btw studs"

It's called "brick nogging", the bricks were installed in exterior walls as insulation to block wind coming through the clapboard siding. It was fairly common in some areas around 1900. And, yes, it can be removed, it is not a structural component.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-18-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thumbs up Re: "Brick in walls btw studs"

Thanks JLMCDANIEL !!! I just googled "brick nogging" and you can see some pictures of what it was.They said it was typical in houses pre 1900's. My deed lists my house as around 1903.It also says that they started this after the colonial days when they filled wooden structures with straw and other material and they had a termite problems.Its very interesting some of the web sites.I've just learned something new about my house.I'm just relieved that they are not structural.Now I can proceed with the project. Again I thank you. Jim
    Last edited by bigjimsayreville; 07-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.