+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Jane f Guest

Default basement finishing systems

I have a pile of drywall in my basement intending to finish off the walls and ceiling. Lately, I've been seeing advertisements for basement finishing systems. When I inquire about them, I'm only given the option of having a salesman come to my house and give me an estimate. I want to know more about what the material is, the longevity of installation, and, of course, the cost. Do you have information about these systems that will keep installers out of my house?

Default Re: basement finishing systems

Jane, I recently had one of these salesmen come to my house and quote me a price to finish my basement. The product was an insulated and fabric covered panel system that attached to the walls with a track system. The panels look nice but I wasn't thrilled with all of the trim strips that covered each seam between the panels. Also, it is not a system that can be painted leaving you with what amounts to a modern version of the old "paneled basement." They claim the system is breathable and thus, superior to drywall in a basement setting. In my opinion, the finished look of the product doesn't justify the high cost of the sytem. I have no idea what the longevity or long term outlook is with a sytem like this. I am a DIY homeowner and I have never finished a basement. The quote they gave me was for the following basement conditions (a fairly simple basement finish plan according to the salesman):
    One open room measuring approximately 600 sq. feet of finished space
    Cover four interior basement walls with their panel system
    Build (2) false walls with steel framing and panel system to hide mechanicals of house
    Suspended ceiling for 600 sq. feet finished room
    (12) recessed light fixtures, and appropriate number of light switches and receptacles
    Boxing in of HVAC duct work and (3) steel column supports
    Carpet flooring for 600 sq. feet (they used a 12x12 carpet tile system that snaps together and
    includes a raised plastic support/subfloor panel that the carpet is attached to
    The quoted price was $26,500 after their current sales/promotional discounts. Hope this helps.
    KJM from PA