+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting over laminate cabinets

Do the suggestions for painting kitchen cabinets apply to laminate cabinets, or is there a different procedure?

Default Re: Painting over laminate cabinets

Paint won't stick to plastic laminate.

Not even an oil-based paint with pre-sanding?

Robinanne,

You can paint over laminate, but you should prime it first. You can use a product such as The Gripper from Glidden. It is a water soluable primer. Also good would be Bin sealer from Zinser. Bin is a shellac based primer(alkohol as solvent). Both have very good adhesion to slick surfaces. Be sure to clean the surface well. I would then give a scuff sanding with fine sandpaper.

Do not paint over laminate cabinets!!! I am in the process of redoing my kitchen cabinets. Remove laminate - it is easy Get yourself a good heat gun that has different settings. Put a leather gun on opposite hand. On the edges of the cabinets you can easily peel back the laminate. Start hitting the laminate and wood with the hot gun. Do not keep it too close or it will burn laminate. After completion following the instructions for repainting in This old house instructions. It takes time but it is well worth it and the cabinets will come out nicely. Novice 101

Sounds like more of a hassle to deal with removing the laminate and dealing with the remaining glue than just properly prime and paint over the laminate.
    For what it's worth I would leave the laminate , do the preparation recommended and paint over the laminate.

Amen Bsum1