I am trying to find the right kind of sidewalk edging for a straight 50ft walkway. I had difficulty excavating the trench due to maple tree root system, but I think I'm in business...

I need the edging to be strong enough to hold the brick in place, but not cost a fortune. Does the regular plastic edging with the round tube on the top work well for holding bricks in place, or will we need to get the L shaped plastic edging and excavate the dug-out trench 3" more on each side to gain access to the finished path to stake the L-shaped edging.

If the plastic with the tubing on top works well, we'd like to bury it a bit lower than the top of the brick edge so we can bring soil/grass/flowers right up to the brick edge. Is that advisable?

The metal or aluminum edging seems to not be designed to "Hold" bricks in place. It seems more designed for keeping the soil/grass out of the path. AND that is extremely expensive.

Which would you recommend for this project? Cost is a factor... We don't want to have to spend more money on edging than the brick! But if we have to bite the bullet for this to come out right, so be it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.