+ Reply to Thread

Default Crown moulding into cinderblock?

I'm putting up crown moulding in my apartment and one of the walls is sheetrock over cinderblock. The wall runs parallel to the ceiling joists so there aren't any joists to nail into either. (None that I can find anyway) How should I attach molding to this section of wall? This is my first moulding project and I didn't expect this kind of problem. Thanks!

Default Re: Crown moulding into cinderblock?

Drywall is usually put on furring strips nailed into the block. Usually 16" or 24" on center.
    If nothing is there, I would glue a continuous piece of wood blocking at the ceiling/wall intersection.A 2x2 or something else can be shaped to fit behind the crown mold. Possibly a few nails through the drywall into the block would add extra holding power, but I doubt if it's needed.
    Then nail the molding to it.

UGH. That sounded like great advice.

Turns out my wall and ceiling create an angle greater than 90 degrees. So I wouldn't be able to glue both sides of a nailing strip.

Would I be able to glue the back side flush with the wall and then fill the gap between the strip and ceiling with LOTS of glue? If I do that can I nail through it or would the glue be like a rock?

Thanks so much.

my suggestion is that you create the nailing block to match the profile of the corner it's going to fill so if you have to miter 2 sides of the block do it.

If you're thinking that the molding won't meet the ceiling/look right/leave a gap at the top you should fill that with something like a shim which could help you with both problems. something tapered on one side and flat on the other.

If you can't fabricate something and have a little extra money, check into getting uncovered liner molding from a picture framer. it's tapered and has a nice finished edge which you could cover with caulk.

Or you could do a stacked molding. That way you could fudge the hidden sides to make it all flush and look right.
    Last edited by debbysewn; 07-16-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: adding another 3 paragraphs
    Debby in Oklahoma

when I said glue I meant construction adhesive. It fills gaps pretty well. Mill the back side of the blocking to match the wall as much as possible too.

Make your glue blocks something like shown below. You can start with a piece of 1 by and cut to match cavity behind crown.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	1326  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks everyone. Really excellent advice!