+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating under a low deck

My home is on a slab and we have a huge deck. As soon as you walk out of house on the rear is the deck and the first portion fo this deck is covered. We are looking to turn this area into a sun room. My issue is that because we live on a slab, the deck is build right at ground level. The joist underneath are 2x10's and they touch the ground. Not to mentioned that water runs through here. What is the best way to insulate under this portion of the deck?

Thank you!

Default Re: Insulating under a low deck

since you've listed water as one of your concerns, I would pour a slab foundation for it tying into the existing slab, I would also add radiant floor heating to this area to extend the use of the room.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Ok, I have decided that pouring a slab would be the best fit for my need. The only question I have is: Would it be ok to remove the decking and pour concrete between the joist, up to the top of the joist or even over the joist (if I need to go that high). Or do I have to remove all the joists in order to pour a slab? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by miker1025 View Post
    Ok, I have decided that pouring a slab would be the best fit for my need. The only question I have is: Would it be ok to remove the decking and pour concrete between the joist, up to the top of the joist or even over the joist (if I need to go that high). Or do I have to remove all the joists in order to pour a slab? Thanks for any help.
    Remove all of the decking and joists for this area and pour a continious slab.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush