+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: mold

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default mold

    My problem is mold. My deceased aunt's home was unoccupied when the washing machine water hose sprung a leak. A large amount of water sprayed up onto the basement ceiling (bare wood)before it was discovered. Last month's water bill was $25 and this month's was $185.

    My father died the day after the water problem was discovered so nothing was done right away aside from turning the water off to the washing machine. This caused a huge mold problem.

    My cousin, a home remodeler, suggested a bleach solution, but I became aware of a greener way - tea tree oil. Does this work? Or should I go by the professional opinion and use the harsh stuff?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: mold

    Personally I would go with the bleach solution and it's not that anti-green. Chlorine is routinely added to water supplies. The health department requires you to dump a couple of gallons of bleach in a well before a water test is done. Tastes like crap though for sveral weeks.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Sand Springs, OK

    Default Re: mold

    If you want to experiment with Tea Tree Oil do it. I haven't heard of it performing the duty you suggest. I do have that in my foot cream though, it smells wonderful.
    Last edited by debbysewn; 07-16-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Debby in Oklahoma

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: mold

    Mold is sneaky. It makes lots of spores and spreads places you don't see... so be sure to really check around well (wearing a mask), and see if there 's any mold on or in the walls, too. And the floor above the sprayed area. If so, you might want to consider calling in the experts for an assessment and estimate. Then have it done.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    New York

    Default Re: mold

    I had the same problem in the basement, caused by a flood. I had mold growing on the bottom of all my floor joists. The house sat for two years after the flood, adding to the problem.

    I had to hire a mold removal company because of the amount of damage (everything in the basement was a total loss) and they removed all debris, especially fabric, that was contaminated. So start by removing anything near the moldy area that you can part with. Then they pressure washed the entire basement and set up industrial de-humidifiers for several days/nights.

    Next, they applied an anti-fungal (industrial strength) solution to kill the mold. You can purchase things over the counter. I don't know about tea tree oil but if you check the CDC and EPA websites, they have lots of info. Bleach kills some mold, detergent kills others.

    Finally, they sprayed all the wood with Kilz which sealed the wood and will keep the mold from every reaching the surface and growing again. I have a damp basement that I don't intend to spend a small fortune to completely insulate, so it's a perfect area for mold growth. I use de-humidifiers for humidity control.

    Once mold starts growing, it spreads really easily. Have a professional check your duct work, air vents, etc. A few spores can become a colony in a short time.

    Remember to never let kids/pets near the moldy areas and to wear protective gear when you go near it. Masks are ok for some mold but you really need a respirator for certain types.

    Also, have someone check out the washing machine. It is possible for mold to grow on metal and you'd never know it until months later, you got sick.

    By the way, mold removal companies give free estimates so you can always have them down to pick their brains. Then you can do the work yourself.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: mold

    TOH has used a product called Boracare on several projects to control mold. It also controls many wood eating/boring insects. It is basically a mixture of Boric Acid, Borax and Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze). If you want to make your own, its 2 lbs of Boric Acid (roach poison), 3 lbs of Borax (laundry booster), and one gallon of antifreeze (cheapest you can find, don't need all the additives).

    Heat the antifreeze (outdoors) and mix the borates until dissolved. Pour into a 3 gallon garden sprayer and add 2 gallons of water. Slosh around until mixed and spray on all wood or anything else molded.

    Like bleach, it is harmful to get it into the environment, but not nearly as harmful as some of the other things that are used to combat mold. It makes wood more fire resistant. It is only temporary (about a year) when used on exterior wood as it is water soluble, but it lasts a long time on protected or interior wood.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts