+ Reply to Thread

Default Patio Furniture Plan Resources?

I am looking to build a few pieces of patio furniture from Teak (or a similarly appropriate exterior wood). Unfortunately after a few hours of internet research the only plans I am finding are for Adirondack furniture... I hate Adirondack furniture (no offense to anyone that loves it :-) I am hoping to find plans for end tables, map tables, arm chairs, and benches that look something like these:

If possible I'd like to avaoid having to steam the seat and back pieces of course. Anyway, if anyone has some ideas of where I can find some decent plans (happy to pay a decent fee for them as well) please let me know.

Maybe I need to head over to the NYW, I'll try that next.

Default Re: Patio Furniture Plan Resources?

I think you'll find just what you're looking for here:
    Norm's plans TNYWS

the garden arm chair is more like the hardwood collection that the other one but if you would like to try shaped pieces (not steamed and bent) there's a bench you could size down.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Debby, Now how did I miss that, I swear I looked through every plan. Those will definitely do what I want, thanks for the pointer! Now as to material. I watched a NYW where Norm built a teak table, and he commented on the high silica content of teak being very hard tools - he refused to use his jointer or his planer on it for example. What are some other good outdoor woods I could use? I've used cedar for decking and column wraps, but I want something a bit harder for furniture. Any suggestions?

Of course Cedar is great but I think I like redwood better. I looked at the 2 items you cited as examples

the Arboria chair is made from Kapur
    the Chesapeake chair is made from Nyatoh. Both were meant to look like teak and use teak products to keep them looking nice.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to suggest except go but the list that Norm includes with his plans
    there's trestlewood--a laminate of redwood and cedar
    cypress, and teak.
    Debby in Oklahoma