+ Reply to Thread

Default Half of house was built on dirt!

My husband and I want to purchase an 1853 Colonial across the street from our church. It will double our living space which will give us room to adopt. The house meets our budget, but half of it was built directly on DIRT! We weren't expecting that and since the house is already unliveable (someone was going to flip it and ran out of money) we aren't sure we can afford to fix it or do the work ourselves. What are our options? There is a small basement under the other half of the house with our water heater & etc. inside. The side of the house that was built later (on the dirt) has severely sloping floors - we call them our skating ramps! Please help!

Default Re: Half of house was built on dirt!

we aren't sure we can afford to fix it or do the work ourselves.
    If you can't do the work yourself it's going to cost a lot more than you bargin for.
    There's a good chance you are going to find a lot wrong with the house. More than you expect or probably afford .

What are our options?
    I think you know the answer.

Hate to say it but time to move on.
    Last edited by bsum1; 07-15-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Ditto that.

Yes...the house sills are most likely some species of old-growth stock, but...even that has it's limitations. Run the other way is also my advice....unless perhaps you have the financial resources of Bill Gates.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-15-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Unless you can get it for the price of the property & demo the thing & rebuild, I would walk away.

Ditto all the above posts.

Your budget will be out the window when you start working on it.

Besides ... the previous "flipper" ran out of money .... probably way too many problems to fix.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Just jacking and putting a proper footing could cost what your house is worth right now. If you can't afford that, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

but jacking the house back to level really isn't that hard, getting those insulated forms to create the footing would be my suggestion. Just be sure everything you do is up to code.
    Debby in Oklahoma