+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Abnormal amount of sediment from well

House built in 1975. Well drilled about 12 years ago. It is 112 feet deep. Good tasting water. House filter between well and house. The filter plugs up in about 60 days depending on use. The filter has very fine sediment (like silt.) Is this normal? Those filters aren't cheap and its a pain changing them so frequently. I will not risk running without the filter. The expense of repair or replacement of appliances is too much. I am thinking that the submersible pump is sitting on the bottom of the well and every time the pump is switched on, the vibrations agitate the sediment and it is sucked up and sent along with the water supply. If this is true, who do I call to remedy the problem? Can I do it my self? I am a combat related disabled veteran with a fixed income. Help please.

Default Re: Abnormal amount of sediment from well

First you would need to know how deep the pump is set and how deep the water is in the well. A "T" tool made with pipe is used. It screws into the top of the pit-less adapter and half the pit-less adapter along with the line and pump is lifted out. The "T" prevents you from dropping it down the well. The line can then be cut and shortened providing the length keeps the pump below water level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Abnormal amount of sediment from well

speedyfour post:
    House built in 1975. Well drilled about 12 years ago. It is 112 feet deep. Good tasting water. House filter between well and house. The filter plugs up in about 60 days depending on use. The filter has very fine sediment (like silt.) Is this normal? Those filters aren't cheap and its a pain changing them so frequently. I will not risk running without the filter. The expense of repair or replacement of appliances is too much. I am thinking that the submersible pump is sitting on the bottom of the well and every time the pump is switched on, the vibrations agitate the sediment and it is sucked up and sent along with the water supply. If this is true, who do I call to remedy the problem? Can I do it my self? I am a combat related disabled veteran with a fixed income. Help please.

jlmcdaniel reply #1:
    First you would need to know how deep the pump is set and how deep the water is in the well. A "T" tool made with pipe is used. It screws into the top of the pit-less adapter and half the pit-less adapter along with the line and pump is lifted out. The "T" prevents you from dropping it down the well. The line can then be cut and shortened providing the length keeps the pump below water level.
    Jack

So I have to pull the pump up and out of the well to do all this? ***! Major $. Besides, my inlet pipe is not coming out the top of the well casing. It is below ground about 5 feet and coming thru the side of the casing. How is that going to effect pulling the pump out? Won't it break the line? Before I go thru a major expense and all the trouble you suggested, I would rather exhaust other possibilities first. Granted you sound like you know what you are talking about (probably do ithis for a living), but I am on a limited income (SSI Disability) and can't throw a lot of money down the well right now. Any other suggestions???
    speedyfour