+ Reply to Thread

Default Painted Brick Fireplace - Want to return to covered look

I have a hundred year old house and I am still piecing together what the previous owners did with the fireplace. It looks as though the fireplace was originally plastered and had built ins around it. Someone Tore out the builtins and put a brick face on it. Then after that it looks as though someone removed the plaster exposing the brick and painted it. I would like to restore the built ins, cover the brick again, and remove the brick that was added to the front and put a nice mantle in its place. Problem is I know plaster will not stick to painted brick, I really don't want to hammer or drill into this old brick and ruin its integrity by attaching sheetrock to it. Does anyone have any ideas or jobs they have done similar to this without tearing up the old brick. Thanks for anyones help or input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	1315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	1316  

Default Re: Painted Brick Fireplace - Want to return to covered look

You could try paint stripper on the paint. It'll be messy but might work. If that isn't good, you could try wire brushing the paint off with an electric grinder (very dusty).

Lastly, you could get a butane torch and heat the paint til it bubbles on the surface and sc**** it off (be very careful with this option).

Good Luck.

Default Re: Painted Brick Fireplace - Want to return to covered look