+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Toilet installation in basement

I wanted to add a toilet in my basement. I already removed the cement and I also cut the pipe (its an old house so the original pipe was made of hard 4" metal pipe). I got the PVC pipe installation but I am not confident of the connection I made between the PVC pipe and the original metal pipe (I used rubbers but it doesn't look solid and might be leaking). These are the rubbers:

So I was wondering if you can help me out with this. Is there another way to connect the PVC connection to the metal pipe? I can't move the metal pipe around so it's a tight fit as you can see in the picture I posted below.

Last edited by RonL; 07-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Default Re: Toilet installation in basement

The venting should be OK since this pipe comes from the bathroom upstairs (so I am guessing there is already a proper vent). It's just the PVC pipe that we installed that bothers me. I will contact some plumbers then to get this resolved.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    To begin with you can't use a sanitary tee on horizontal drain line, it will prevent proper flow. What are you doing about venting? You are in over your head, and doubtful you have a permit.

Book the plumber and couple in a straight until the appointment, or call in a plumber on an emergency visit to repair, then schedule an appointment for your modification.

first off those are mission no hub bands.. for no hub cast iron you are dealing with service weight CI slightly larger than no hub thats why those bands taper like that and are not sealing use proper transition band that goes from service weight to plastic also old service weight has raised letters on it from manfact. wich will prevent bands from sealing grind these smooth with an angle grinder if present. the horizontal tie in to the main line should be a combonation or wye and 1/8th (45) bend. where im from i cant wet vent i dont know about Canada , i would went it with a wye and 1/8th bend .. ALSO thats not pvc thats abs plastic and it does not look like you are using proper solvent cement.. i agree with yuk yuk if you are in over your head please call a licensed plumber... i seriously doubt that ever plumber in your area is booked .. don't be cheap it gonna bite you in the ass in the long run..
    - sean the plumber
    Last edited by djrenek1; 07-15-2008 at 10:31 PM.

djrenek1,
    A couple of questions.
    1] Isn't that a short necked Tee Wye that he's using which would negate the need for a 45?

2] How can you tell he's using the wrong cement?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

that is a "sanitary tee". The uniform plumbing code states that a sanitary tee may never be installed on its back in horizontal postion always vertical. I know some area's in Canada use the upc..but it may different in other areas.. the solvent has a running milky look to it is probably pvc cement , ABS solvent is thick and jet black
    Last edited by djrenek1; 07-15-2008 at 11:33 PM.

jet black
    Around here ABS is commonly used and cement can be a yellow color.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by djrenek1 View Post
    that is a "sanitary tee". The uniform plumbing code states that a sanitary tee may never be installed on its back in horizontal postion always vertical. I know some area's in Canada use the upc..but it may different in other areas.. the solvent has a running milky look to it is probably pvc cement , ABS solvent is thick and jet black

Thank you sir.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Around here ABS is commonly used and cement can be a yellow color.
    around where..? are you a plumber..??

Canada and nope.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I had several plumbers come to check this out today (3 to be more accurate). The main concerns were the following: the length of the new pipe going into the main pipe (since I have it less then 6 feet) and a thing that stops outside water going into the pipe (which my house already has in the pipe line).

Most plumbers agreed that this installation should in fact work and that the leak is due to an improper rubber installation. They added that I should remove the rubber and add some silicon material (gasket maker) plus clean the pipe and make it fit more accurately. They mentioned that I should get this done and test it out a couple of times for leaks. The new toilet line should also be slightly in an incline towards the outside just to make the water flow better.

I did what I was told and so far no leak. I'll testing it some more before finishing the job.

The pipes are PVC sold in home depot same goes for the glue used.