+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lumber Stores Closing, Is it any wonder?

Almost hate to admit it but I had 7 years with 84 Lumber. The main reason I got out was I love doing the actual construction. Was building/remodeling before I went to work for them and went right back to it after leaving. Even used to go out and help homeowners and builders on my days off.

Tried to buy from 84 while I was building but got tired of all the ignorance. 84 had a great training program for new hires but about 80% of the employees just wanted a paycheck. They had no passion for carpentry. It wasn't in their blood.

The last thing I did for 84 was to grand open a new store in Ohio(which closed down 4 years after I left). Had a lot of potential but they had already gained a horrible reputation. Lots of promises but no delivery. I had a few occasions that I would start to walk up on a jobsite and the workers would see the uniform and tell me "No Thank You!"

If the "big boxes" don't get it together with some product knowledge training, who knows what's coming next.....

Quote Originally Posted by cornerstonepi View Post
    If the "big boxes" don't get it together with some product knowledge training, who knows what's coming next.....
    Ah, yes. The stories I could tell ya, but...I don't have another keyboard handy to replace this one when it gives up the ghost.

Bottom line is...if what we have around here as regards the "younger generation" of contractors is any indication...we be in some deep doo-doo as a nation. They don't know...and don't care that they don't know... concerning appropriate products for any given application...let alone proper installation practices. The local community of these "contractors" feed off of..and swallow... one another's ignorance/misconceptions. Sad, but oh so true. In light of that, it's little wonder that the staff at the big-box is also clueless.

I have a nephew who went to work for a local big-box about 6 months ago. He also...is totally clueless. Wants to make his commissions by selling me building materials, but... doesn't know squat.... and also doesn't care. Just wants the commission.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-16-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Bottom line is...if what we have around here as regards the "younger generation" of contractors is any indication...we be in some deep shid as a nation. They don't know...and don't care that they don't know... concerning appropriate products for any given application...let alone proper installation practices. The local community of these "contractors" feed off of..and swallow... one another's ignorance/misconceptions. Sad, but oh so true. In light of that, it's little wonder that the staff at the big-box is also clueless.

I have a nephew who went to work for a local big-box about 6 months ago. He also...is totally clueless. Wants to make his commissions by selling me building materials, but... doesn't know squat.... and also doesn't care. Just wants the commission.
    I once had a prospect tell me that I needed to get a wholesale license so that I could buy my materials cheaper and lower my rates to her. What she didn't understand was that I would then have to turn around and charge her tax on the improved price of the goods received, not the original purchase price. Add on the additional paperwork, headaches and hassles and, well, let's just say that paying my rate above material costs is much much cheaper. In this area, cabinet shops are about the only ones who benefit from a wholesalers license because they have to charge state tax on their finished products - the cabinets - not just the materials themselves.

And don't even get me started on SleazeBay, they're worse than Evil Orange and Slowes combined.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ain't in Kansas and got no ruby slippers.....

We have an EO and a Lowest in the next town over, right across the street from each other. Now and then, rarely, do you get to find anyone who knows what they're talking about. Some of the people in their plants area know a few things, though.. others just look vacant. No help stores, that's what they've become.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    in regards to the topic of younger generation of contractors out there not knowing and not caring.

too many guys are specializing in one sector of their trade and not learning how to do the full project nowadays
    Amen to that.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects."

- Robert A. Heinlein

It's not just the " evil " DIY stores . It's everywhere . I've gone in auto parts stores , and if the guy behind the counter couldn't find the answer to my question on his computer terminal , then I was screwed . Any of you guys tried to buy a suit at someplace other than a specialty store ? Good luck trying to find someone to fit it and pin it up for alterations .
    You name it , service sucks these days . The consumer better educate themseves .

A woman I work with has a high school graduate son. He's working at lowest for his summer job, just waiting to go into the military.
    When she told us how he was complaining about his job and all the 'stupid people' and their 'stupid questions', i thought of this thread. very sad. He doesn't want to learn anything, no need to he things - just wants that paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    A woman I work with has a high school graduate son. He's working at lowest for his summer job, just waiting to go into the military.
    When she told us how he was complaining about his job and all the 'stupid people' and their 'stupid questions', i thought of this thread. very sad. He doesn't want to learn anything, no need to he things - just wants that paycheck.

Not to worry. *If* he gets in the military...they will promptly remove his head and then proceed to screw it back on so that it faces forward.

Come to think of it ...ever since the draft was abolished in this country...there has been an ever increasing rate of serious crime, general attitude problems and entitlement thinking. Example- Gang-banger shootings in the midst of the crowd at the recent Chicago-Fest...carried out by 14 YOs.

Way too much parental coddling, too...IMO. Kids on tricycles wearing helmuts. ??? Good grief. Or worse yet ...driving their own electric cars around the yard.

Me thinks it's time for some manner of mandatory civil service again. Put down those damn cell-phones and X-boxes, get off of My Space, turn off the TV, leave the movie theater, leave the mall... and get a clue. Learn some responsibility and accountability for the space you're taking up and the food you're consuming. Maybe even learn how to grow your own food...or at the very least, where it comes from. What a novel idea, eh? Chocolate milk doesn't come from brown cows, kid.

Archie Bunker rant over now.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-19-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Not to worry. *If* he gets in the military...they will remove his head and then screw back on so that it faces forward.
    Hopefully they'll remove it from it's current location and put it atop his shoulders where it belongs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Hopefully they'll remove it from it's current location and put it atop his shoulders where it belongs.

LOL