+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow --------------

---------------
    Last edited by asc2078; 08-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Default Re: Lumber Stores Closing, Is it any wonder?

While these lumber retailers blamed their losses on a slump in the housing market, it would seem to be a big incentive for them to improve their customer service. I am convinced that these companies have no idea how much business they loose because customers can get no help at all in their stores.
    Couldn't agree more.
    The blame game .

One has to shake their head when it comes to corporate mentality.
    HD was enjoying the good times when all they had to do was open their doors and the business came to them ...... "if you build it they will come " .

It's disturbing when reading how the previous CEO of Home Depot enjoyed over $200 million in benefits and salary in barely a 5 year period.

http://www.businessweek.com/investor...103_345801.htm
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

On a positive note, my favorite local redwood supplier recently purchased a lumber company across the street. Now, instead of only selling high quality redwood products, they will be improving the building supply service as well. This company has been a dream to deal with for the last 20 years, providing excellent service and high quality product, for the same or slightly higher price than all it's competitors. They will be primarily a lumber shop, but will have some basic framing related hardware once they get their yard reorganized and the showroom set up.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

West coast.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just tell me what you need and I'll FedEx Overnight it to you.

Just buy your building materials off Ebay.
    - Rush

You know it would be a small lose if they hadn't moved in and put the locale stores out of business first.
    Jack

Canuk is chomping at the bit to become an Ebay Super Seller
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Canuk is chomping at the bit to become an Ebay Super Seller
    LOL ...
    Don't have anything to do with it and don't want or need to.
    - Rush

Yeah, it's just too bad for all of us that EO and Lowest came in and ran the local yards out of business... even though they always seemed busy, i guess the big orders went elsewhere.

Now, it seems an amazing thing to me that any hardware or lumber store should be closing, especially those that cater to do it yourselfers, because those folks will always have a project or two going. And even though subdivision building might have slowed down, there's been an awful lot of flood damage this year.... mabye they didn't notice, huh? Gonna need someone to supply renovation, rebuilding, and just plain re-location requirement... And that's going to go on for a looong time, too.

And another thing... what in the world was Steve Fosset thinking - going off on that flight with no global locating device!?!??
    (.. I know, that has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic...)