+ Reply to Thread

Default "You cannot post"

Hi, Usually, when I log in, I do so at the "Answer Todays Question" screen. Then I read the different questions. In the past I have been able to post replies. The last couple times, including today, I have not been able to post replies, etc. in that forum. If I go to other areas of the message boards, I am able to post replies, etc.

Rich Kelly

Default Re: "You cannot post"

"Answer Todays Question" screen
    Where do you find this screen?

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Where do you find this screen?
    bsum1, when clicking on "open link" as yuk yuk stated.
    Yuk Yuk, I tried doing the route you suggested. As I stated, Only in that area, the blue title line with date and time, has the date and time in black letters (very hard to read, I may add)instead of white. Then all but edit your posts on the bottom say "You may not post ...". Anywhere else on the boards I am able to post.

Rich Kelly
    Last edited by Rich73Kelly; 07-17-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: quotes

Question Re: "You cannot post"

The opening page for "Answer Todays Question" has not updated since July 7th. I have deleted all in Internet Options a couple times in the last month. Another thing I notice, when posting, if I click on the large A above to change the font color, all that comes up is a small cream colored rectangle.
    Is there a way to update this whole website on my computer ?

Rich Kelly

"Answer Todays Question" has been discontinued although it still remains on file. I would guess it was discontinued because it was not being properly used. The disclaimer clearly stated not to post questions, that questions would be randomly selected by the Admin for that section but users where constantly posting questions of their own. So I'm guessing that is why it was closed. I would recomend you change your bookmark to http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/index.php which will take you to the forum index page.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rich73Kelly View Post
    I have deleted all in Internet Options a couple times in the last month. Another thing I notice, when posting, if I click on the large A above to change the font color, all that comes up is a small cream colored rectangle.
    Is there a way to update this whole website on my computer ?

Rich Kelly
    You might want to clear the cache, cookies and temporary files from which ever browser you're using and check your settings as to how frequently to check or upgrade those. It might be your recent problems with the font colors and such have to do with your having old cookies or not allowing active X controls and not being compatible with this site's upgrades to cookies and VB versions. It could be as simple as you may need to refresh your browser after you have logged in before you wish to post on a message that you viewed before logging in. If you saved an off-line version of any portion of the website to your favorites list I suggest you remove that first. After making any changes to your browser or clearing files close all instances of your browser, you may even need to reboot to effect any or all of those changes. Then restart and come back and log in, see if that works for you.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 08-23-2008 at 11:55 AM.

The "Answer Today's Daily Question" category has indeed been closed due to misuse. In time, all of the posts in that category will be filed into their appropriate category on the boards.

Please visit the category of your choice to answer questions directly. The "Answer Today's Daily Question" board will remain hidden and closed until all posts are moved and properly filed. The category will then be deleted and Daily Questions will live in their respective categories, filed by category in the future.

Thanks,
    TOH ******

Smile Re: "You cannot post"

Thanks for your replies. I have done the following and it seems to have worked so far. ... I deleted the link in my favorites, deleted all in internet options, AGAIN, and the manually entered the address suggested in the address bar and then, added to my favorites today and then logged in. Will see how it goes in the future.
    ADMIN>., ... Thanks for the "Heads Up" on Todays question board.

Rich Kelly