+ Reply to Thread

Question Which tools are the best value for the money?

Tax-refund time is here and I'm looking to buy a miter saw and a table saw, and probably a nail gun. I'm not a hard-core woodworker or carpenter, I'm just going to be using these tools for some minor remodeling jobs around the house like cutting/adding trim, baseboard and other assorted things that come up around the house.

I want a quality tool that will do what I need it to do, but I don't want to pay for features I won't use. What's the best bang-for-the-buck tools in these categories?

Thanks,

Dave M

Default Re: Which tools are the best value for the money?

For the power tools I'd recommend Craftsman, they're decent quality for the money and will hold up to what most homeowners can dish out or require of them. The nail gun can also be an inexpensive unit, say Chicago Pneumatic ( CP ) from Harbor Freight. I don't generally recommend HF tools, however for the price and the work load placed on it, it should last the average DIY'r pretty good. A CP gun will run you $25 to $50 as opposed to professional guns that run into the hundreds quickly, you can see how the lesser tool will save you money.

I bought a CP 1/4" crown stapler last summer and have used it quite a bit. No, it doesn't have the quality feel or accuracy of my Senco equipment, but at a fraction of the price I figured it was worth it even if it only lasted for the one or two projects I had at hand for it. It has shot around 5000 rounds and is still shooting just as good as the day I bought it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ridgid also puts out a decent contractors saw (carried by Lowes and Homedepot among others), just remember a cheap saw with a good blade is better than a good saw with a cheap blade.

Nailer, a good choice is the Bostitch oiless nailer. Requires very little maintenance.

Mitersaw- buy a good one like Dewalt or use your table saw for miters. I wouldn't waste time on a cheap mitersaw unless you are just going to use it as a cutoff saw.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack when did Lowes start stocking Ridgid brand power tools. I thought Ridgid was exclusive to HD.......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paretoslaw View Post
    Who cares?

They all be made in China now.
    Actually, Makita makes miter saws in the USA, Dewalt saws are made in Mexico and Italy, Hitachi makes saws in Japan, the Kapex is made in Germany... etc.

Just a suggestion but folks who work in construction are going broke left and right under the Obamanation.

You can probably find really good used tools for less than half price.

Glad to hear you have money to spend.
    Yeah, and with the 20,000 military amputee casualties from the two wars the Dubya lied us into, well, those fellas won't be woodworking for a long time, so if you happen to live in a military area, you can pick up a bargain or two...
    effin' A! Nothing like using any opportunity to inject your political venom into a situation. You must be the life of the party, dude.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

You are a troll.

Are there any made in Winona?

Yah,ohh ya sure, betcha not.

Hey, yah you got tickets to the squirrels hockey match this weekend? You wanna sell?........ I got some old dewalt batteries I will trade........ Or, I could put some true coat on the under carriage of your truck. Really saves from the salt let me tell ya............. It will need to warm up though.

OOOOEEEE i like my bosh saws all for about $80. It is a DIY best friend....... If ya live close to a Menards their cheepie miter saw works great 2 year replacement warranty and 1/3 the price of the name brands

Why don't you offer some useful information or ideas to help others, rather than your insults and stereotypes.

I write tool reviews for Tools of the Trade Magazine and Master Carpenter articles for Fine Homebuilding, etc... so I have something to offer on the subject.

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/references.html

As far as the dumb accent snubs, I grew up in a military family in Arizona, Texas, Colorado, etc. and have no regional accent.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH So now ver tell'n me der is a better product than True Coat? Vell, if that is so please let others know vat it is.

Yah! you betcha!
    Last edited by basswood; 02-06-2010 at 09:38 PM.

I am published as well my Northern friend. So what?
    Leaving DNA evidence between the pages of an adult magazine can't be considered "published". Why don't you go troll some other site where your "humor" is appreciated.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!